What are you watching?

@dzyg i agree, season 2 wasn’t as bad as many made it out to be. sure it had ridiculous dialogue at times which makes great memes but overall it was entertaining, had momentum and gave us another Vince Vaugn dramatic role (which is great, he’s great - check Brawl in Cell Block 99). Season 3 is sloppy, as you said, so many red herrings and also bits that lead absolutely nowhere? like why was his partner alone without a wife and kids? we knew he was a socially adjusted guy and a team player and chased a church girl, what gives? we did get an origin story of why he loves dogs though. the wife, we know she died but it never bothered to tell us how. what was the meaning behind him chillin’ in the jungle at the end?

rather than leaving anything for the mind to stew on it’s all a messy mess. the use of a droning ominous soundtrack behind scenes that amount to so little throughout the season also was a low point. pretty disappointed that i stuck through it. anyway, time is a flat circle and pizzaman will make another show and i’ll probably watch it

went back to Legion to start again as i stopped for some reason early on. It’s actually really good, that Noah Hawley knows what he’s doing between this and Fargo

watched the first episode of babylon berlin last night, so much love. it’s masterful

I watched a Thai movie, Eternity (Tee rak), that was my first entry into “slow” cinema. Lots of extremely languid shots of characters in rural Thailand, only occasionally making small talk or running errands. Swimming in a river, having dinner with the family, resting in a hammock.

I have never been so fucking sleepy in my life. But after I settled in after ~20 minutes, I came to appreciate the pace. Like lounging in a bath :slight_smile:

@noaa

next up Lavi Diaz and Apichatpong Weerasethakul :wink:

Classic cliched must watches if you’ve not seen them:
Sopranos (no.1 !), The Wire, True Detective 1, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Just finished TD s3 and it totally redeemed it for me, dealt with dementia really well too I thought.

New Jim Carey thing - Kidding - is really good too

Also sky doc Soundbreaking is dope for the first few episodes at least then gets a bit shit.

Speaking of docs, watch Muscle Shoals if you’ve not seen it, amazing.

Just finished RIcky Gervais’ new show on Netflix, After Life. It’s pretty decent if I may say so myself, especially if you’re a fan of his.

remarkable. such complex emotions expressed in this film which looks stunning all the way through. reygadas strapped a camera to a plane flying over mexico city until it lands?

and finally got around to What We Do in the Shadows. so funny, i adored it. basghetti

also:

hella exciting

just finished High Life by Claire Denis

intriguing and disgusting - but somewhat disappointing/annoying

i loved so many of the ideas presented but feel like each one needed twice the presentation time given

I love Legion and almost everything about it, but really don’t like Dan Heller who plays David, the main protagonist, and that sucks. Other than that, and still… it’s a great great show!

Just watched The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley, the doc covering Elizabeth Holmes’ fraudulent startup Theranos. Totally engaging doc revealing the rise and fall of a sociopathic entrepreneur and the deceit of “innovation.” Recommend!

sounds good! gona check this

Just finished watching American Vandal S2 with my bro. It’s really great and more conclusive than S1. Highly recommend.

fucking Westworld. anyone else?

Started watching season 2 of the Wire. Can’t believe that I waited this long to watch it when I loved Six Feet Under and the Sopranos when I watched them ten years ago. Watching this after watching the Deuce makes me feel bad for enjoying the Deuce. While it’s not bad, it comes no where near the Wire.

need to check out six feet under and finish the deuce. enjoy the wire! considering re-watching that again too

going to watch this tonight or very soon, rent here for 2.99

Westworld baby (I’m on team Dolores). Devs as well which seems to be similar kinds of themes.

Recently rewatched Parks And Rec for a bit of an easy, happy watch when I was feeling crap.

Interesting. How did it turn out?

yea very good, it’s almost two hours long. worth a look if you’re even mildly into mo wax, dj shadow or unkle. lots of info within on it all