UKG Appreciation

All time classic! Great article about the story behind this one here

Oooh, Haven’t seen this before. Thanks!

Flava D slipped out an album full of great tunes in 2015 for free on bandcamp. Modern produccy but still soulful

v interesting, read it today!

Yeah D Base’s ‘Dreaming’ is brilliant as well!

Totally get what youre saying re: mixing UKG, the sparseness of it makes locking snares/kicks so important (and rewarding!) to achieve. On another note I feel that blending garage in a more straight up house / techno set can do wonders for swing / bouncyness :slight_smile:

Hey fellow UKG fans, Pearson Sound dropped his UKG set from Glastonbury 2017 yesterday and it’s amazing

https://thenycdownlow.com/2018/06/08/pearson-sound-ukg-set-london-underground-glastonbury-2017/

ah mate.

how do you pick!!

favourite record ever

this one

definitely this one

Can’t pick a sole favourite, but I’ll use this as an opportunity to celebrate El-B - saw him play in a dark room on a big system last week and the man’s still supreme behind the decks all these years later.

There’s not a huge UKG community in Montreal but the people in the know are among the most passionate music fans I know, we’ve been lucky to get amazing El-B, Zed Bias, EZ sets.

real fierce one here. sidenote: this youtube channel is incredible.

I cld rant for days about this.

Lots of stuff already covered. Horsepower, Steve Gurley & El-B are big ones for me. Love Saved Soul & Cape Fear kind of tracks too.

My favourite Horsepower track

Always loved this Dem 2 remix of R U Sleeping

Angel Lee - What’s Your Name (Artful Dodger remix). Bubbly and happy which is a mood I think UKG does unusually well.

Sunship deserves a mention. Could be a million tracks but I’ve picked this one.

MJ Cole is one of those ppl w/ a very recognisable sound but a huge amount of diversity in his back catalogue. Badboy remixer, anything which is an ‘MJ Cole Dubb’ is going to be a banger. Again could be a million things and I’ve picked this almost at random.

I could go on for much longer. I’ve done some mixes, the last one is 100% garage and the next few will likely be too (one is coming with that Re-animator Horsepower tune). I did some depression mixes and they all have bits of garage in (as unlikely as that seems). Saved Soul is the first proper track in Depression 1. https://www.mixcloud.com/str_apx/summer-garage/

Oh and I’ve also been rinsing this partially because it has a incredible & strange video.

Second Protocol - Basslick

not to play uk garage remix 1 ups, but the MJ Cole remix of Angel Lee is soooo good

this is an overlooked hefter too!!

some fresh sounding FRG if u will

Such a sick thread.

My all time favourite UKG tune… Surprised it wasn’t up already! Dark room heads down vibes.

Recommend listening to the galdem mix too!

oh my god yes!

I must say this edit also slams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVjXs2vYPW8

Thought it’d be nice to chip in again! Massive shouts to all of you for sharing, found some gems in here :slight_smile:

^an end of the night classic, that one…

2 deep - get away

all mixes are great, that full sax something else though…