UKG Appreciation

actually prefer the N.Y.S.C dub mix myself, could harp on about Dem 2 all day tbh

you based in Amsterdam? there’s the Scott Garcia night on Saturday I’m trying to drag my friends away from Geigling towards

Interesting! I feel kinda similar, 'cos growing up in NL meant there were a few garage classics being played, for example at Trouw (think Colours ‘Hold On’ etc), but I only discovered the breadth of the genre later on, through YouTube, Discogs and the aforementioned (UK) DJs.

Yeah that entire release is fiyah, as is most of their other output haha.

Nah, currently based in The Hague and got smth else on Sat, but it’s always a good idea to drag your friends away from Giegling :wink:

Nah, currently based in The Hague and got smth else on Sat, but it’s always a good idea to drag your friends away from Giegling :wink:

You don’t have to tell me twice

Alright, favourite of all time is probably this and one day I’ll splash the money on owning my own copy

You could ask me tomorrow though and I’d probably give you an entirely different answer. Ordinary People “Baby you make my heart sing” will always be in the top 3 though.

Haha it can’t be said often enough tho

I love the sparsity of “All I Know (Da Grunge MIx)”. The kicks and the bass stabs are just so perfect! Locked On was the business back then.

He’s already been mentioned but everything by Steve Gurley is killer

Anyone got recommendations of labels putting out fresh UKG stuff at the moment?

Dr. Banana are putting out great stuff by K-Lone (Wisdom Teeth) and DJ Backspin:

!!! R e p o s t !!! :wink:

he he he

Infinite feels:

cheers for the heads up on that Backspin tune… v nice. not over-polished like so much new UKG stuff.

Oh yes, that KCA tune … <3

One of the best, played this out in a closing set recently. When that bass gets moody…

No way I can pick a favourite… Currently vibing hard on the production / chords on this one. I just pulled all my garage vinyl off the shelf and had a little mix, and one thing I really noticed is how much of a different skill it is from house and techno… especially the fine rhythmic detail in the hats and snares mean there’s no place to hide if the mix is out of whack… and the intros and drops are a lot more complex than they sound on casual listen

Discovered this recently, really fucking good.

Incidentally, the youtube account that uploaded it has loads of old UKG I’ve never heard before. Love it when you stumble on stuff like that

Also, I don’t think this has been posted yet, but deserves to be in any discussion of best UKG tracks.