UKG Appreciation

how did I miss this release…

this is hard

if it’s any consolation, they’ve got a new 12" out on friday: https://warehouserave.bandcamp.com/album/yu-qt-buff-traxx-ep

Nice cheers for that, clips are sounding nice

Is this an alias of someone? Who gets an El-B remix on their first release…

that Y U QT 12" is definitely my favorite UKG release just on U Belong 2 Me alone… I remember listening to it for the first time on Rinse when Riz La Teef had a solo show - my first thought was “wow, this is the cutest UKG track I’ve ever heard.”

fast forward to the following summer and I copped the 12".

HOLY SHIT just hearing this now… U Belong 2 ME is some life affirming ultra banger type shit

This sounds sick, definitely diving into this label! I’d say that the INSTINCT label is my go to for new UKG, glad they have a Bandcamp page as well, not that down on vinyl only biz.

https://instinctrecs.bandcamp.com/music

Man excellent shout - these Instinct 12"s are killer. Exactly the kind of thing I’m after…
Been trying to ID that “Someone” tune from 005 for a while - proper El-B vibes. Unfortunately it looks like I’ll be paying Discogs prices now.

quality UKG heavy mix from Changsie w/ mostly 2019 stuff

Fresh Y U QT. They’re killing it.

Recorded in Hackney, London, at the Total Refreshment Centre during lockdown 2020.

Piano and vocals by Keith Mindlink.
Production by Kristian Craig Robinson (Capitol K) and Jordan Parry (Clacton City Magic).

Video produced and edited by Jack Foster.

A couple more bassline-y ones I’ve been obsessed with

in case anyone missed, gabriel “release the piss tape” szatan wrote a 900,000 word piece on RA about the UKG revival:

and simon reynolds even weighed in over at dissensus to gloriously shit on the entire movement

as a general principle sort of thing -

even the most bandwagon-jumping, mercenary-minded, shamelessly derivative track from 97/98/99/2000 has more spiritual-philosophical-ontological integrity (for want of a better word) than even the most scholarly, meticulous, well-informed and well-intended reproduction-antique effort from now

because the former are participating (even if exploitatively) in a real-time wave of innovation as it happens, rather than going back and trying to freezeframe that moment

you can get a buzz off a shoddy third-division tune from then, that you can’t get from the most immaculate recreation

this principle applies to everything
the other garage revival (punk)
but also digi-dub, Detroit-venerators, you name it

Man. Where tf did future garage go.

Veeeery nice stuff m8. Gotta love me some UKG. Gonna scroll back further in this thread 2mo.

disagree with that Dissensus quote 100%

just check the new Sully - he would do the same w/ garage if he went that way - fully FWD>>

I have old white labels from that time and many are super corny by today’s standards but we love them and thats the continuum

minds blow better than ever in the present tense

u do get a funny buzz off old tunes but its not always in that "god how’d they do that?!’ kinda way

this is a rant redact

Good to see such a thead. I did a recent revision of a few of our UKG sets and was great to see what I missed out on the first time and how all these genres at the time worked combined together. Sites like Music is My Sanctuary have really done an amazing job of going back and making even more sense of it all.