Hidden gems, any genre, any era

i really enjoy this thread. thanks to all of u :slight_smile:

i stumbled into this album awhile ago. not really of any genre in particular, just good. I especially like 4th track ‘Yume No 4-Bai’. Masumi Hara’s other albums are just as unique and highly recommended.

That Fingaprint encapsulates the entire vibe of Funky at that time - takes me back!

Ok so… in line with the ‘hidden gems’ theme of our thread, I bought this from Halcyon last May when I was in Brooklyn for the Turntables on the Hudson 20th anniversary party … never got a chance to play the thing, it disappeared on my shelves in the shuffle and it wasn’t untiI I pulled it out last night - I realize … my god Gary Gritness is a beast

found this on an end of year list but it’s still 100% hidden mother fucking gem

12 min rihanna steely dan edits

dollar bin garridge

do yourself a favor and cop this gem for $2.55

such a tune

anybody rememeber jonathan fire eater?

Wow, that first track really took me by surprise. First minute I was not very impressed and thought it sounded quite bad, but it slowly crept under my skin and before the song was finished I had bought the release on Bandcamp. LOL! Great find, thanks!

to me this whole album is a gem, but tracks 1 and 7 in particular, found out about them through Willow’s RA mix

nice find! love how its unclear what era it’s from. fully pop without pretension

This one went a bit under the radar, released in december. This is the most techno-y track, but the whole album is magnificent and super varied.

this shoulda been a single on minutes to midnight! damn idk how they still left this as some b-side on a fan club release 2 years later

A great Actress track from his best era, that I actually hadn’t heard before today!

And a bonus classic, which isn’t on any of his albums:

ADR’s Chunky Monkey
most people probably know him for his work on PAN a few years later, for me Chunky Monkey is one of the most underrated albums of the decade and the bonafide deconstructed acid jazz opus, lol. i even own the vinyl. RIP Hippos In Tanks.

9a9446f3

yeah I have whatever the ADR record is with the SD chip on the cover, which is okay I guess…but this first Gatekeeper record he did with his buddy from college, oh my lord…

also, the follow up (on HIT) is pretty rad (but not as great as the first EP^). why was 2012 such a good year in music?

Brought to mind an oooooold bside…they used to go by Hybrid Theory

Back in 99 when they were on their comeup as a buncha dudes from Carson…didnt have Chester yet

That first intro hook is super Chronic 2001 Dr Dre G Funk to me…

off-kilter noisy dubby krautrock techno power ambient :sunglasses: whole record is great and really underappreciated, I think.

going through drunken night out notes

either a tune by thug called bulb

or a tune by bulb called thug

anyone any idea what this is

edit found it pretty sick stuff 1988

ive been checking out the youtube uploads of Jo Ph, who gets stems from multitracks of mostly mainstream metal and pop songs (taken from old guitar hero files i think) and uploads them individually. and ive been making a playlist of some of the best demixes he has of taking the drums out of songs.

a few people here should know why i titled it that, u get a free :cookie: if u answer first
also my fave one of all of them has to be:

(also tell where i got my icon from and ull get 2 cookies!)

Here’s one I hadn’t listened to in a while but this thread inspired me to go dig it up. Alec was the solo project of someone in the same scene as the P.H.F. record that @avery was talking about. The single For a Shine meant a lot to me back when it was released. Listening now I think I can kinda understand why. Anyways, this record is everything that I loved about that scene - hope someone else out there can hear what I’m talking about.

anybody rememeber jonathan fire eater?

If its the same one im thinking of I found about them through a cover of Cherry Red that The Kills did as a b-side.

The remainder of jonathan fire eater became The Walkmen later didnt they?

My favourite Actress stuff is from that era too and is actually Actress maybe Lukid, maybe both, and that’s the Thriller singles released on Werk. This is listed as Lukid

but a similar (if slowed down) feel was on Ghettoville on ‘rap’.

My favourite is the Freak for You/Point and Gaze single: