Braindance Thread

Not up on which genre is which beyond a certain point :wink:

@S.A @mr.shiver you know what I sort of find interesting about this, though, is that ā€œbraindanceā€ was originally coined (by Rephlex affiliates) for the express purpose of having a more positive / less polarizing alternative to the widely despised IDM label and, for a while, the two terms were more or less interchangeable depending on who you talked to.

braindance now seems to refer to a very. specific. sound., one that basically takes the all-Roland-everything approach to classic ā€œacidā€ trackmaking (a la Analord) to its logical end.

Untilted is just amazing! Such a relentless record :slightly_smiling_face:

Draft 7.30 is probably my favourite out of everything, I think they nail a really great mix of glitchy craziness and lush melody. I always feel people overlook it a lot too. Chiastic Slide and LP5 are pretty goddamn incredible and the peak of their 90ā€™s records imo. Out of the newer stuff, go for Exai, phenomenal record that one!

Agreed! I also reckon NTS 3 is pretty awesome too. Maybe someone should widdle the whole thing down to a manageable sized record or 2 :grinning:

just pick and choose and make your own playlists i say. i definitely did that with the Quaristice/Quadrange/Versions stuff :slight_smile:

anyway back on topic: this weekly-ish radio show is full of good braindance and breaks-y type IDM often, worth checking out any of the broadcasts, havenā€™t listened to a bad one yet! disclosure, i first heard about it because someone who knows him tipped me off that heā€™d be playing some of my tunes, but really, any set heā€™s doing is good stuff. worth giving a listen for sure:
http://programs.bayfm.org/starbase-one/2019-06-27

anyone with a passing interest in ā€œbraindanceā€ could do worse than checking out the latest from Reid Dunn (aka Wisp). totally amazing work (just try to ignore the horrifyingly atrocious artwork).

WISP IS AMAZING :love_you_gesture:

top 5 cringe genre names

His stuff as Ovuca was siiiiick. Been flogging the Colundi stuff heaps lately actually, especially ā€˜Sunshine 3ā€™. That record is awesome.

Letā€™s not forget the maestro Bogdan Raczynski

So much love for his work :metal::metal::metal::metal:

Speaking of braindancey legends, the new collection of Plaid remixes has dropped on Touched! All proceeds are going to cancer research too :slightly_smiling_face:

this man is so underated! there are many geems on the rave 'till you cry album!

Rave Til You Cry is bloody fantastic! And everyone should own a copy of Samurai Math Beats. Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve got to add to that really :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m just gonna leave this little slice of amazing right hereā€¦

Ooh, Iā€™ll definitely have a look at that!

Great stuff that was also put out on weme