Walton // Black Lotus (Tectonic)

dtf5am-t500x500

Solid release from Walton, falling into that “sinogrime” genre that is very much a :thinking: :thinking: awkward category for a white guy from Manchester. There’s a broader subject on this out there and it’s like, I get it, you played Samurai Shodown and you liked the soundtrack, but the slight streak of asian fetishism in some UK bass circles is both understandable (I grew up with Japanese video games and they influenced me a lot, “Megadrive Generation” etc.) and, uh, not.

And the album features Wen who had his own album drop today Wen // EPHEM:ERA (Big Dada)

I understand your viewpoint and opinion, but do you like the album or not

Anyways, I haven’t listened to the album yet, but the most striking thing about Walton’s style is how he changed from fun, grimey / garagey / UK funky type tracks that were colorfully fun and energetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31MrUKNV35A

…however, that all changed when he moved from Hyperdub to Tectonic, making more darker and moodier tracks. His first 12" on Tectonic didn’t even have that Asian influence that permeates his music today. This sinogrime influence is definitely from Kode9 I think.

AOP you didn’t even say whether the cultural appropriation in the album is okay with you or not, where are u m8. Also, with this “slight streak of asian fetishism in some UK bass circles”… I hope you don’t know some certain unmentionable soundcloud scenes full of reprobates :rofl: