Wen // EPHEM:ERA (Big Dada)

Been following Wen’s music for the past 5+ years when I was closely following grime & Keysound back in the day. His music definitely has progressed a lot since 2013, and it’s nice to see him release another album after being more lowkey on releases since 2016.

Yes! Saw this today and got very excited. This kind of bleepy-kind of instrumental grime is completely my aesthetic (also Last Japan and some of the stuff on Boxed V) and his last EP left me wanting more. As much as I Like Zomby’s music I find Zomby himself to be… uh, well… so I’m glad others are carrying that sound without the attitude.

I always get excited about Wen’s releases. There’s this element of unpredictability when it comes to his sound. Can’t wait for the EP.

I dont think Wen has ever put out a bad track. He lays low for a while then suddenly springs an incredible release on us. This has got to be one of his best for me:

So many shapes. Looking forward to getting my hands on this one

Not as instant as Signals but definitely growing on me. There’s some lovely melodic touches, especially on ‘Curve Relay’ and ‘Schoene’.

Definitely more lowkey than his work for Keysound. It really feels like his sound progressed from dubstep-influenced 130 BPM grime w/ MC vocal samples to something unique and more of his own. I feel like he was really going somewhere with Senary Cycles in 2015 before he stopped releasing for a while cause he’s studying architecture I think. 100% matured in his style / sound.

Walton // Black Lotus (Tectonic)