Trance Appreciation

From the Tranceport days

trance is my one of my fav genres for sure, and one of the genres my friends assosate with me cuz i dont feel guilty about my pleasure from it that much at all! :stuck_out_tongue: (nu metal is the other one i can think of right now)

anyway here’s some all time favs of mine for sure

and big ups to virtual self and i hate models for bring trance back to the contemporary:

Great thread. I am not particularly well versed in trance, but I have always enjoyed cheesy/sentimental moments on the dancefloor. Strange Worlds (2000 Remake) is about the only thing I seriously could have posted, so I’m looking forward to digging in.

I think trance miiiiiiiiiight make a bit of a comeback. With stuff like Lorenzo Senni and PC Music being quite popular now I feel like an actual trance revival can’t be too far away.

I basically share @repentxnce sentiments about trance. back in the heydays I was too young too appreciate or even understand it – hell, I even felt the same about techno and EDM as a whole. Unlike the other two though trance kinda disappeared over the years. Now, with a revival looming around the corner, with such acts like the aforementioned, Joseph Marinetti, Evian Christ, etc. I’m looking forward to the new (and old) sound of trance. I’m therefore glad this topic exists.

oh, and one more thing:

So much love for trance in all its forms. As a kid I got into the cheese trance stuff (Tune Up!, best of liquid dreams, alice deejay, various anthems), then Above and Beyond and Anjunabeats / Armin Van Buuren, then I got into the whole blog house / electro house scene. Last year I started digging around the roots of trance starting in Goa in the 80s and 90s and absolutely fell in love with what I found.

That dreamy hypnotic sound they zoned in on, finding it in all sorts of genres, is so unique and powerful. Eventually producers caught on and started making music in this style. The sound has a lot more in common with modern techno than what trance became. It also reminds me a lot of whats going on in the burner deep house scene, and the headier techno scenes. Around 1995 producers narrowed in on that supersaw hands up anthemic style, and the genre started to change dramatically. I like what it became too, but it’s a real shame that it came at the cost of the more delicate sound that dominated previously.

Celestial Object Goa 1983 -

Celestial Object Goa 90-92 -

Celestial Object Goa 94 -

Here’s a playlist of stuff I tracked down circa 90-95 -

I’ll buy just about any dance record made in the UK, US, Italy, or Germany between 89-94. Works like a charm.

I am finally seeing this sound come to prominence again in lo fi, techno, deep house, and experimental dance music and couldn’t be more excited.

Chill Out - 88-95

Have you heard this mix?

I have not! Thanks for sharing, great mix and exactly what I was talking about.

nothing good came of trance after '95 before that it was fast 150 BPM+ with squiggling acidic lines, in fact a more techno based counterpart to hardcore/jungle. i blame progressive house, EDM’s worst excesses can be traced to that sound.

Those Goa mixes are crazy, thanks for sharing them. It seemed like Trance, bought a great sense of unity. Everyone just enjoying the music, no agro.

A lot of good Trance was coming out of Germany and Belgium, are there clubs that you can hear decent trance sets ? It just seems odd that such a powerful genre would disappear. Like all genres things get out of hand and somewhat become damaged but the heads that really appreciated the 90’s trance authentic would surely keep pushing it ?

Leftfields Leftism album is an absolute work of art and is mainly trance/ trance influenced, the album is extremely well know and I’m sure it inspired and still inspires a lot of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fvimphEeN4

I would love to hear some modern trance like the stuff that was being made in the 90’s, like what is happening with hardcore at the moment, people have taken on board the original hardcore sounds but are now taking it in new and exciting directions.

A beautiful example of Trance at its best

that quadran track is awful mate.

this is trance:

Personal opinion enit, I dont like tomatoes, you might. I love it because of the spacey aura, the enchanting, dreamy vocals, all being driven by the sporty kick drum. You could really loose yourself on the dancefloor to this one, I can image it, everyone would be in their own space, no conversation, eyes closed just letting the track take them. That was what Trance was all about no ?

wow these are ace, thanks for sharing

ive been playing this a lot recently:

guess there’s loads of crossover with hardcore and old techno stuff? i probably couldnt tell you what old trance sounds like you know.

Trance became something else but at the beginning as far as I can tell it referred to the spaciest, most trance inducing techno music. Maybe someone who lived through those years would see it differently, but it seems to me that trance at first was more of a sound than a genre, and it seems like DJs were finding it all over the place: deep house, techno, hardcore, industrial, etc.

Again, I’m no authority on this, just doing my best to make sense of these insane records I keep finding.

I may have caught N Trance at the festival I went to with the kids at the weekend. He was chucking out some great 90s bangers, including a quite a bit of of the cheesier end of trance. ATB, Darude, Zombie Nation all present and accounted for. Cafe Del Mar. Obviously. And some Alice DJ. Crowd full of hippy types, lots of dreads, weed, baggy pants. But to a man there were big smiles and lots of dancing. Music that makes people smile and dance, it’s no bad thing.

I think there’s a bit of a resurgence in the “feel” of trance (although maybe not the megaclub-inspired excesses of the genre’s latter years) among some modern techno producers.

Take this one for example. I don’t think you could have played this on a techno dancefloor between, say, 1997 and 2015 - it’s just too trancey!

Top tunes that bunch!

Also if anyone is interested, they should check out how early trance intersected and developed alongside old school EBM. It’s not something that’s discussed a lot these days, but the two styles actually have very close associations with each other. It wasn’t uncommon to see industrial and EBM artists smashing out trance tracks in the late 80’s (Robert Gorl from DAF did some awesome tracks)

RA had a good article on EBM a little while back were they discuss it a bit, well worth the read: