Strictly no digital

I have to say I’ve actually come to love lossy compression / digital artefacts, just like people love the sound of vinyl crackle, i’ve gotten used to youtube quality audio and enjoy it.

This audiophile business it a case of self-foolery i reckon. I wonder, just how many FLAC purchasers have unknowingly bought tracks that sampled from mp3? How many vinyl enthusiasts have purchased vinyl that was cut straight from mp3? There are a whole lot of artists out there who probably only have 320s of certain tracks left on their hard-drives.

I’ve personally cut 320 to vinyl, the label didn’t notice, the mastering engineer didn’t notice, and some of the tracks themselves took samples from mp3s of various quality too.

Lossless is for recording/processing/redubbing without quality loss, not for listeners or party-goers

yep. it gets into pretty slippery territory pretty quickly, I agree. it’s like buying a deluxe 180g edition of Bee Thousand thinking you’ve got this audiophile business licked. I think producers should ultimately care about their productions, though. the more people demand lossless, the more it seeps into the collective unconscious…

For sure, producer’s definitely should care. And listeners should get the best quality they can. Sometimes Soundcloud/etc absolutely murder certain tracks with re-compression, there’s no doubt about it. I’m just saying peeps should be sceptical that a WAV is objectively better, because it’s not.

So you’re one of the people putting out lossy masters :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d rather have flac partly so that if I do want an MP3 I can make a good job of doing it. Guess that’s probably a bit of a throwback to when some online music sellers (itunes I’m looking at you) used to use dreadful MP3 compression.