Strictly no digital

I am a huge vinyl fan. I cut vinyl for a living and run a micro-label. I simply cannot understand why ALL vinyl sales do not come with FREE digital (compressed and uncompressed) files. It’s BS!

I feel like you’re right here - unauthorised samples on digital products make it so difficult to remove all trace if/when they are found out. I’ve definitely spotted some old beats labels changing old compilations from the 90s, removing certain tracks… presumably sample clearance issues or expiration of certain track rights.

Sorry to say but if you don’t hear a difference between let’s say a clean 320 and a youtube rip you are very lucky. Some of us have developped a more critical listening and can’t help but notice when something sounds bad (wether it’s because of the files or the soundsystem or the mixer clipping etc etc).
It is not elitism, some people care about sound quality for a reason.

Kinda feel you, but this is very dependent on the style of music. Also be sure not to complain about bad soundsystems or sound guys if you play lo-rate mp3s.

Your ears are not more developed, I hear the difference but when the crowd is drunk they can’t. Also who cares the difference in sound quality is not gonna make a bad song good. Sorry fam you aint special

Sorry, but when I go to a club with a proper soundsystem and proper entry fees and someone would play files in bad quality instead of caring for a good sound … I’d wonder what is it all about and why I don’t go to a small bar with a small dancefloor and worse speakers in the first place. (and no or small entry fee)
It’s like going to a good restaurant where the cook doesn’t care about good ingredients because no one would notice it. This just doesn’t work. And I wonder if I want to be recognized as the DJ with the shitty-sounding files by those who know?

It’s all about the situation I guess …

This has nothing to do about me being special. Rather acknowledging that some people do hear the difference and care about it. of course a low quality file is not gonna make a good song into a bad song, but the experience would be much worse.
It’s like the minimum effort required to play tolerable files, would you play a skipping vinyl?

100% agree. Honestly, the only thing being done by having vinyl only releases is that you’re only letting people that have enough money to pay $35-40 CAD for each vinyl listen “officially”. It just seems like going the exact opposite way of heading towards the future.

Sounds elitist to me, it all revolves around money and not art the way you put it. Proper club, proper sound, that’s some elitism if I’ve ever heard it.

Who cares about snobby ppl ‘who know’ tbh

Elitism is a strong accusation. I don’t care how good a soundsystem is or how “good” a club is.

My point is, the better the system is you play music, the less I can understand the approach of playing bad sounding files. And if you charge a certain admission I think it’s your job to care about quality. It’s not that hard.

But hey, feel free to do whatever you want …

hilarious a thread about vinyl elitism turned into a thread about digital elitism…

bottom line, we all love music. maybe a little too much. and I just think we’re all a little particular, territorial and/or weird about our shit :slight_smile:

It’s not elitist to want to play non-shitty files with digital artefacts due to compression to a crowd who is there for you one way or another.
@cesar you just seems lazy to me. High quality files are easy to find (yes, even for free).

Aha yeah for sure :wink:

dj soulseek

rider: cheese plate, fiji water, $500 fee

It’s definitely being lazy and not at all the ability to afford higher quality files. This has nothing to do with money at all (I say sarcastically).

This assumes the DJ has anything at all to do with the sound system and the event other than getting booked to play it. It also assumes the DJ is getting paid a fair wage, which maybe in an ideal environment.

I’m with you on the massive irratance at vinyl only releases. Kniteforce are a bugger for it.

I’ve just spent a fair whack of cash on a record player that I could otherwise have been buying music with…

On digital fetishism, lossy masters. Sort that shit out record labels.

Also, if I’m buying vinyl, if you are gonna throw in a digital copy, make it a flac and not a 320 fgs.

And as I am getting stuck into this properly… then pack in charging different rates for 192, 320 and flac. There’s no reason for that. Storage and bandwidth are too cheap to make it forgivable anymore. I thought bandcamp might have stopped it, but nooooo.

This assumes nothing other than wanting to play good files and doing the work for it. Stop acting like there’s some big injustice

This assumes people have time to spend searching the internet for illegal downloads of HQ songs which may have malware or get them in trouble with their ISP.

Alright, you lot let’s stop bickering for a bit. Some of us are more okay with lower quality files than others (who prefer the higher quality stuff.) Good points have been made on equal sides here but regardless y’all have kind of gotten off the track of the original topic. Granted, I’m not sure much more can be said than what’s already been said but at this point each new reply is just fanning the flames on an already completely burnt down building. Arguing over such things is not in the spirit of this forum, after all.

‘Cesar’ account suspended for trolling boards (here and on other topics) & harassing other users. Multiple warnings & chances given to avoid suspension.

Disagreements will happen and are a healthy & important part of this whole thing. It’s vital to come across other perspectives that can widen how we see things, changing our viewpoints or strengthening our resolve, but users being antagonised by other forum members purely for the sake of making arguments isn’t.

That’s just the second suspension since launch out of almost 1000 users on here. Both suspensions have been for the same reason. Remember to use the flag function if something crops up like this. Often better than replying and fuelling the fire when a user is set on agressing others.

Thanks, ForumAdmin