Skee Mask // Compro (Ilian Tape)

the good news is that ilian tape doesn’t play the manufactured scarcity game and I’m sure represses are already in the works

Let’s get Hessle Audio on this same page.

hard not to agree with all the compliments here. atmosphere, rhythms, flow. Muk FM is a beast and a highlight for me

Forgot this was coming out - and now it’s sold out everywhere :frowning:

Didn’t know that Skee Mask was SCNTST until this dropped and I’m so happy he’s finally getting the respect he’s deserved for so long. His dance tracks and atmospheric work seem to have found their ideal expression in this project.

This remix is an old favorite SCNTST track -

Yep, love it. Really beautiful balance of melody, atmosphere and extremely heavy drum programming. Manages to feel modern / timeless, especially compared to all the other producers using the same jungle-influenced components in a much more selfconsciously retro manner.

This one been on repeat for a while

£80 on Discogs, daaaaamn.

It is coming back in a month or so, and this will be widely available for long.

wait, whut?! He releases under SCNST too?

Dial 274 is slightly embarrassing, rest is guda

I’ve listened through this album twice over the past few hours, and although it’s well produced, the rhtyhms are quite nice, there’s variation all the way through and nice chords and so on, and there are some moments here and there, I just think it’s really bland. Nothing really sticks out, in my opinion. It sounds a bit like it’s from a 90’s trip hop elevator music compilation or something. You know, not bad, easy listening, kind of enjoyable, but very forgettable. All the sounds on it just very very vanilla and safe sounding - just no friction between the various elements in the tracks. I was sitting on the bus listening to this suddenly thinking to myself, “oh, right, I’m listening to this music, I kind of forgot”.

That might sound a bit harsh for something I genuinely think is a well produced piece of music - it’s technically good, just doesn’t sound creative or original at all to me. I’m getting old though, and I don’t particularly like much music coming out these days, so don’t mind me. :stuck_out_tongue:

agreed, think i like the previous one better or connected with it more.

Hey that’s fair. I have listened to this more in the last week than anything else, I am starting to feel that it lacks a star track. But I can’t tell if that is because I like the whole feel so much or what. I just dig it and that puts us on opposite sides. But I do think that your criticism is wholly warranted. To me, the record is a solid 4/5 stars.

This release fucking bangs. On repeat for me at the moment.

Gotta love your thumbnail :eyes:

from: https://soundcloud.com/benufo/live-at-factory-osaka-260915

I know, that’s why I rated it! Thought “hmm that looks familiar”

still loving this fcker

listened to it a few days ago and loved it. ingenious way to approach DnB.