Political Works

I’m curious about the forum’s favorite political works. These can be overt or subtle, academic or practical…One of my favorites is pretty basic but it’s a stone cold classic that I love…
Gil Scott Heron’s “Winter in America”

Rage Against the Machine’s self-titled debut…aural equivalent of a molotov cocktail…

ive always liked the battle of los angeles better myself, their true peak

In a plausible fantasy of utopia, I don’t agree with the message in this song, I’m more along the lines of “charity is a cold grey loveless thing, if a rich man wants fo help the poor he should pay his taxes gladly”, which maybe wouldn’t sound as good in tune like it does here, and this tune certainly highlights some of the pitfalls of paying taxes (and is very funky indeed)

I have experienced someone gleefully singing, “kill an arab” but I’ve read The Stranger by Albert Camus. I’m not sure how political it is as a song without context–like it’s more culture eating culture, the rumblings of your political gut bacteria.

This feels like an obvious trap but I’ll share this anyway.

This has many things going for it maybe only improved on by another tune on the same album with spoken word in Welsh accent (not language). It’s definitely an interesting thing that in the 1990s they released two versions of singles, gold and silver, and, on the silver version the B sides were covers of easy listening lounge lizard tunes with brass instrumentation. This seems like it might have been the thing that boosted their sales enough so that their songs reaching number 1 - but they were never called out for it. Cynical marketing ploy or commentary on capitalism? Probably both or it wasn’t their idea or they forgot why they did it.

Township Rebellion is the tune I got the DJ to play at the school disco. Politics aside, digeridoo and cowbell with, probably one of the less funky bass bits on the album, but still, well, that’s that’s a political statement right there - I didn’t get the thing in sleeve that said they didn’t use samples though. A bit braggy, and maybe justified, but they where heavily influenced by things – so a more diplomatic thing to say might have been to state their influences, some of whom did use samples…

Politicians when they try to present as human because someone coerced them into to doing so, they tend to reference music they liked in their formative years. They liked The Smiths. Bastards.

My Hitachi Hi-Fi was rinsing this, brainwashing myself:

https://images.app.goo.gl/73Tnjm7bKYUGJLZW7

I, uh, 21 savages, uh, how many of those… I like those guys

when taken in context of what was happening at the time when that record came out, where you had a lot of listeners and (rock) critics dogging hip-hop artists for not making “real music” and slagging off samples as lazy or whatever, no matter how uninformed or reactionary that line of thinking was it was absolutely true of that era. so yeah the liner notes were them saying, hey, we’re just four dudes in a room making these sounds, that was kinda revolutionary. i don’t think they ever shied away from stating their influences were basically Public Enemy and Black Sabbath…

“Raise my son, no vindication of manhood necessary”

This one’s more personal as political but, in context, it’s a real political message

chumbawamba have some great tunes about politics and about their artistic and philosophical commitments, not political in the sense of party politics but, i think, still political because they’re making an attempt to commit to compassion and sincerity without compromising their art, even if they don’t always live up to that ideal. everyone sang is one of their best, as is the wizard of menlo park or on eBay. their covers of “rebel songs” are great as well.

IM GLAD SOMEONE MENTIONED CHUMBA!!! probs my fav rock band and poetry collective of all time

probs one of my fav songs ever, ;u;

remembered this track while reading the recent RA retrospective on gold teeth thief. knocked me over when I first heard it in that mix, still feels dangerous/revolutionary/etc.

chumba! wamba! chumba! wamba! there needs to be a chumbawamba appreciation society or smth

united tubthumpers of the working class earth :3

“Anti EP was a protest against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, which would prohibit raves (described as gatherings where music is played), with “music” being defined as a “succession of repetitive beats.”[7] Sean Booth explained the band’s strategy for the song “Flutter” by saying, “We made as many different bars as we could on the drum machine, then strung them all together.”