Looking For Advice On Pricing

I’ve been told that a moderately well known (100,000+ monthly listens on spotify, 800,000 views on one of their songs on youtube, 2 million listens on one of their songs on spotify) dubstep group would be interested in commissioning me to do some design work for them. I was not told the nature of what they’re thinking of commissioning but I’d imagine it would likely be typography work and/or music artwork.

This is my first time doing a real commission so I don’t have much of a clue on how I should be pricing myself or how to properly do an invoice. I’m 18, almost 19, and my portfolio can be found here for an idea of the type/quality of work I do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

come up with an hourly rate you think is fair (no more than $50 is probably a good starting point), keep track of your time (including email/phone exchanges with client…e.g. two emails takes maybe ~15 minutes (or .25 hours) which would total $12.50), and provide a conservative time estimate to buffer any additional or unexpected revisions/edits that may occur. coming in under your estimate is a great way to build goodwill and get re-hired for the next project :slight_smile:

oh, yeah, and ask for a deposit before doing any work whatsoever. you’re young; don’t get in habit of getting burned too early in your career…

probably gonna end up doing something for whatever budget they have tbh.
good luck

@criminiminal This is reasonable in theory and in an ideal world, but… he would easily come to 500$ or 1000 if he also includes the time of reading emails. Honestly, if i were the artist, I wouldn’t feel very comfortable with that. If it were a large label with a decent budget, the story might be different.
I know good and established artists in London working for small labels on a regular basis and taking something between 100 and 200 pounds.