Logic X 10.5 Vs. Ableton (Is it worth it?)

I am an Ableton user who was thinking of getting the new updated Logic to have some different devices and a different workflow to mess around with when I get writers block producing in Ableton. However, I have never used Logic before and I wonder if I’d be wasting my time learning a new DAW that would essentially be giving me similar results as Ableton.

So my question is, for people who are familiar with both DAWs, is it worth it?

For reference I like using more glitchy, unpredictable devices in Ableton, usually M4L plugins. I also love the the sample slicing and using “randomness” (ie: the beat repeater and random arpeggiator functions).

I prefer working on Ableton, but the Audio Engine in Logic just sounds better. Renders and plug-ins just sound brighter or cleaner in My opinion.

It’s all about what you can use well enough to not have to think about anything technical while you’re working imo. The differences between Logic and Ableton aren’t significant enough to be worth spending a bunch of time getting used to it.

Also, Logic kind of sucks, it’s a mess of random functionality with no coherence and no coherent idea of music making in mind. I guess maybe that’s because it’s for recording more than creating. If you’re doing creative work (using a DAW as an instrument) Ableton is definitely the best. If you’re doing audio work, Pro Tools is the best.

Don’t believe the Logic hype, they just keep piling on exciting looking functionality for the marketing. Ableton is much better designed for music making.

Also, it’s true that the Logic audio engine sounds better @48khz and less but Ableton @ 96khz sounds great to me.

Strongly disagree with this statement. Logic is incredibly powerful it just takes time to learn how to use it. Also it has the best value of any DAW that’s for sure. You get Alchemy as a stock plugin something that used to be sold for the same price Logic is now. At the end of the day the best DAW is whatever you’re most comfortable using but this statement on Logic is completely false

It’s hard to deny the thing about them just piling on endless functionality without any coherent vision for music making though, isn’t it? Like cmon, it’s got notation, a mixer (which is actually good), 3 kinds of note editor, the event editor, a bunch of weird text/icon button functions, a bunch of different kinds of mouse functions, and don’t get me started on the MIDI environment…

The MIDI environment alone should prove this point. Who can attempt to use the Logic MIDI environment and say it’s well-designed software with a straight face? I certainly couldnt.

I think one of Logics strong sides is one of the points you make.

I dont know how to make music and I feel the way Ableton is set up tries to force one way of doing things. Logic lets me just start working.
So its maybe a good addition to Ableton if you feel you need to break out of the streamlined workflow you have been caught up in. Use what works, and for me Logic has been a lot to learn to navigate, Ableton was too, but Logic didnt force my workflow as much. I really like the “endless functionalities”.

The midi environment is from the old Logic days and it’s still there for people who use it. It’s incredibly powerful if you learn how to use it. As for the other functionality I don’t see it as a no coherent vision but allowing you to do what you want with the software. I don’t always make music the same way when using Logic, sometimes I record audio other times I sound design other times I write weird midi scripts in JavaScript to create generative music. I’ve seen people use the event editor in incredibly powerful ways it’s how you want to approach it. Unlike other DAWs that essentially tell you this is the one right way to do things

The idea of maximum “power”, in this case meaning seemingly endless additions of tangential functionality, being what makes good software is just plain wrong.

A pleasurable and productive user experience is what makes good software. That means what you take out is just as important as what you leave in, because everything kind-of-bad or superfluous that you leave in interferes with and complicates user experience and ruins the beauty of the thing as a whole.

Logic wants to be everything for everybody. Just because something can be used for something creative by some people doesn’t mean it’s right for the program to incorporate it. Is it really necessary to have like 5 mouse types? Does that really add to the experience / productivity of the thing? Ableton has 1.5 mouse functions and there’s nothing I feel I cannot do with it really.

It’s not enough to say “you just need to learn it” as an excuse for bad design, it’s the job of Apple’s software developers to make it so that you don’t need a degree in Quantum Mechanics to figure out how to do basic MIDI routing.

The MIDI environment is obviously a complete catastrophe in good user experience, it doesn’t matter how many obscure things it can do that hardly anybody uses.

And, yes, this is a hill I’m willing to die on :grin: Logic is extremely stupid software and anybody who thinks otherwise is wrong.

lol don’t listen to spacetimed - the whole point of using software for music is endless functions - Ableton doesn’t have endless functions? If that’s your argument…

Logic is the shit doggy - I could go down the list

my take: songs get finished on Logic, but it’s Ableton for jamming and live performance

this from a guy who just copped Fruity Loops so I could reminisce…

Now there’s a piece of software

The only thing you seem to point to as an example is the midi environment which doesn’t even need to be used to route midi anymore. Frankly I’m tired of this discussion as it’s not really productive in any way.

To OP use whatever DAW you have access to and are comfortable with, if you’re blocked start new projects and attempt to make music in different ways like sampling or sound design as a jump off point . If you really wanna try another DAW Logic is having a trial period rn but so do many other DAWs like Studio One and Reaper etc

I think that no software can replace Live once your used to it. The workflow is incredible and M4L offers a lot of possibilities.

However the somation isn’t that good in ableton.

So i use Live for composing, then i export tracks indivually and mix them in reaper, you could do that in logic as well.

First wrtting, then mixing in another DAW. It’s quite a lot of work but the result is here.

I love Logic’s ability to record audio ‘takes’ over and over and pick from the best one – something Ableton have completely dropped the ball with. It’s really good if you’re planning on working with recording in any synths/live instrumentation/vocals.

Switching the DAW is never worth it. You will be investing a lot of time for no real benefit because they all do exactly the same thing. That being said I can’t stomach Live because I want a more linear “tape” like workflow. So something that emphasises “loops” does not make sense for me. But if it works for you there is never a good reason to switch.

I work mostly in Ableton when I write/produce for people/ play gigs and love it to death, but it has some limitations that come up in certain circumstances. I looked at Logic and like it. Still might grab a copy for when I work with clients using Logic so we can just bounce stuff back and fourth with less fuss.

But honestly when I’m left to my own devices? Reaper. Incredibly powerful and is really good at a lot of stuff Ableton is not. The render queue alone was worth the effort of learning another software. The only downside was it was annoying to setup and I hated a lot of the defaults. Now that it’s dialed in, it feels like my private laboratory :slight_smile: