Getting Into Vinyl DJing

Been DJing on and off for a year or two now. Mid last year I started taking it a bit seriously. Managed to get few gigs here and there. One of the gigs was at a record store/coffee shop type of join, probably the only one where i’m from (Saudi Arabia). I brought my controller and everything.

Seeing that they had turntables, I asked if I can hook up one of their turntables and play whatever records. They liked the idea. I do have vinyl and a turntable at home but they’re collecting dust.

I started my set with some records the owner suggested and I really enjoyed it. Something about the whole process of putting the record in and seeing the label felt very different to me. That whole experience planted the seed of a desire to DJ vinyl I guess.

I did my research regarding the gear and looked for few records on discogs that I really liked. Two days ago I bought the setup and now i’m patiantly waiting for it to arrive.

So is there anyone here whose into vinyl DJing? Any tips? Where do you get your records from?

greets!

https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/home/

You could start by picking a genre you like, buy 15 / 20 records of the same genre/bpm and get a feel for blending a set together. That way you could see how different combinations of tunes work if you are actually beat matching.

just watch out for pre-orders on that site (I press “hide pre-orders”) because those sometimes take forever and can slow down or parcel out your record shipment.

Obviously you should look at Discogs.com too

Good Luck!

+1 on Redeye. I’ve been using them since 2014 and they’re really great, most efficient imo with bulk record shipping across anywhere and the reserve system is really really useful.

I’m also an aspiriing vinyl DJ, I just have one 1200 and I’m still saving up for a 2nd turntable and a mixer.

I already got some records from discogs and waiting for them to arrive. Got around 25 or so in total. Figured it should be good to start. Thanks for the recommendations though :slight_smile:

Maybe I will check out Redeye later. Do you guys buy from Yoyaku or Phonica?

I’ve grabbed a few records at phonica physically and they’re alright. Idk about international shipping but Norman Records is pretty good as is Honest Jons