favourite leftfield Drum & Bass / Drumfunk / Autonomic tunes

The whole Autonomic thing was the only drum and bass I have ever REALLY liked. It had a lot of crossover with everything FWD/dubstep etc at the time (hence things like that Pearson Sound tune), which is how I came across it… beautiful stuff on record and, in my experience, really surprisingly FUN in a club… just like UK Funky it was a real breath of fresh air from the nosebleed dubstep that had become almost totally dominant.

Anyway, ramble ramble ramble - I’ve been listening to loads of this stuff again recently… and then Instra:Mental pop up from out of nowhere one day to say they’re releasing a new album, half greatest hits, half unreleased bits from that time. It’s out friday, I’m well excited.

Two current percies…

Also worth pointing out that all the podcasts are still online to this day: https://www.club-autonomic.com/

me too! loved the first Instra:mental record. “Love Arp” is the cut.

This ep still blows me away

Consequence stuff was pretty lovely too

I’m enjoying this very very much:

Acid and Dub! I want more of this :smiley:

Just wasting my friday night diving into the backstock of Thermal Recordings. I posted “7th Avenue” above so here are some more interesting tunes of this not so well known (?) label.

been really feeling this tune. seriously good vibes.

just came back to this gem from 2020:

(I mean the whole album …)

Autonomic / Microfunk / Minimal Drum & Bass was interesting as it really messed with what is Drum & Bass IF you half-step it or strip it of its power. It almost falls out of its same grouping. Drumfunk is a nice but a really understated subgenre. I do think Atmospheric Drum & Bass is having a real revival now but its hard to know if that’s happening in the Drum & Bass community, through Breakcore, or are just zoomer kids who see it as something new? Anyway linked some of my fav / ideal tracks of each. Good to see a Drum & Bass thread here, even a more leftfield direction.

Thanks for your list! Good work, gonna check the stuff you posted there.

When it comes to Microfunk I think there are still some early predecessors to discover.
This album is from 2005 and tagged with Click&Bass. (I already posted it above.)

LXC - We Have To Hold Apart

needs a re-release imo.