Various // mau5ville: Level 1 (mau5trap)

Released July 13th, 2018

I understand that I’m a bit late in making a topic on this one but I wanted to open up some discussion because I’m feeling very conflicted about how I feel about the track Monophobia. I really like the track (esp Rob’s vocals) but also I feel like its an extremely uninteresting track in comparison to the rest of Joel’s discography. While doing more of the same isn’t really a new thing for him it still feels odd that the song doesn’t bring anything new to the table given that he has shown a large range as a producer. The song’s video also adds a confusing element to the whole release in that it doesn’t really fit the song at all? It’s a fairly melancholy song so I don’t get using the whole late 2000s Epic Lolz type vibe. I know he’s no stranger to using that aesthetic but even for him this still feels very hodge podge.

people still seriously like deadmau5? :eyes:

not exactly a diss on u tho. his earlier work def was pivotal in getting me into electronic music for sure. but now i just kinda see him for what he is, an electro house bro that tries to sell himself as More Cultured then other electro house bros (but not all that rlly)

anyway about this right here: monophobia is p good for what it is! its nothing he hasnt rlly done before, but he’s def good at this kinda proggy electro trance still when he wants to. a good thing i like a bit him is he actually can let a song go for about 8 or 10 min or so, and not feel like he has to cut even “Extended Mixes” to 4 min like every big room person itchs to do now.

also nyquist is rlly good god damn :hushed:

and yeah uh i just watched this and uh

yeah i hate it.
i already hated his stupid lolcat aesthetic but to see that plastered over his rich ass mansion makes me :nauseated_face:
also what a waste of big ass moog modulars if he only uses it for big room stuff he can just easily make in omnisphere. jfc i think opn only used simple vsts more commonly associated with Mainstream EDM for his last few albums, and they were miles beyond this :zipper_mouth_face:

Same about his early work. I first heard stuff like Strobe when I was a freshman in high school and it really changed the way I thought about electronic music. I haven’t listened to him seriously in a while but this new release caught my attention for some reason. And to a short degree I think he is a step above most electro house bros, particularly in his ability to produce in tons of different genres with a p solid consistency. In particular its things like his “7” album on youtube that make me think he really is capable of so much more if he tried getting more conceptual with his stuff.

Also yea the video is absolutely abysmal which is why I don’t understand its use with a more somber song. Some ppl in the comments have suggested its supposed to be making fun of his more typical “raver” fans. While I’d love to give him that credit, I can’t imagine there was that much thought put into it.