Trance Appreciation

I’ve got a lot of love for trance, for me it has got everything that I look for in dance music, but it definitely seems like a dying genre. This might just be in the UK but its very rare to hear it, or even get good trance nights. The only place you really hear of trance being played is in a muddy, asbestos filled barn at a free party in the middle of nowhere.

It seems 90’s was the best years for it, now it seems like its slowly fizzling out. Is anyone making any good trance ? Are other countries keeping the scene alive ? I know Nina Kraviz throws a fair bit in her sets.

Here are few tracks to that I’ve been pumping recently:

A handful trance classics that got me into electronic music back in the day.

Ah, the memories. :smiley:

I think for many people of a certain age, trance was the gateway into electronic music. Although not everyone always likes to admit it! For an Angel and Airwave in particular crossed over massively and plenty of people I think now regard them as cheesy. But that really does them a dis-service. Quality tunes and ones with a lot of memories for a lot of people.

Oh, absolutely. I have quite a few friends, club head snobs, who refuse to admit that they even liked trance way back then (except for when drunk on that close knit afterparty, haha), nevermind admit they are good tunes today. It’s easy to hear that some of those old trance tunes are quite cheaply/cheesily produced, but some of them were quality none the less. The first two tracks I posted there are just quality, in my opinion, exceptionally good tracks. :slight_smile:

I think psytrance is really popular at the moment. A lot of people seem to be making it.

I’m a broken record to anyone who’ll listen but this changed my life

Right here, huge Platipus Records nerd and was heavy into Bonzai stuff.

This right here, the intro and the breakdown is so heavenly

I have no shame in admitting that For An Angel is one of my favorite tracks of all time, especially the PVD E-Werk Club Mix!

lol reminds me of a few techno producers who started in progressive house but pretend they never did such a thing coughPerccough

I guess you could say that with uk hardcore, its what got people into raving. I know for sure that trance tracks would go down great in club environments. I guess nowadays there is a very thin line between trance and techno. I like that its that little bit faster, keeps energy levels that bit higher. Yes some of it is cheesy but again a fair but of hardcore is but its still golden. Its such beautiful music, I don’t understand why its neglected.

From the Tranceport days

trance is my one of my fav genres for sure, and one of the genres my friends assosate with me cuz i dont feel guilty about my pleasure from it that much at all! :stuck_out_tongue: (nu metal is the other one i can think of right now)

anyway here’s some all time favs of mine for sure

and big ups to virtual self and i hate models for bring trance back to the contemporary:

Great thread. I am not particularly well versed in trance, but I have always enjoyed cheesy/sentimental moments on the dancefloor. Strange Worlds (2000 Remake) is about the only thing I seriously could have posted, so I’m looking forward to digging in.

I think trance miiiiiiiiiight make a bit of a comeback. With stuff like Lorenzo Senni and PC Music being quite popular now I feel like an actual trance revival can’t be too far away.

I basically share @repentxnce sentiments about trance. back in the heydays I was too young too appreciate or even understand it – hell, I even felt the same about techno and EDM as a whole. Unlike the other two though trance kinda disappeared over the years. Now, with a revival looming around the corner, with such acts like the aforementioned, Joseph Marinetti, Evian Christ, etc. I’m looking forward to the new (and old) sound of trance. I’m therefore glad this topic exists.

oh, and one more thing:

So much love for trance in all its forms. As a kid I got into the cheese trance stuff (Tune Up!, best of liquid dreams, alice deejay, various anthems), then Above and Beyond and Anjunabeats / Armin Van Buuren, then I got into the whole blog house / electro house scene. Last year I started digging around the roots of trance starting in Goa in the 80s and 90s and absolutely fell in love with what I found.

That dreamy hypnotic sound they zoned in on, finding it in all sorts of genres, is so unique and powerful. Eventually producers caught on and started making music in this style. The sound has a lot more in common with modern techno than what trance became. It also reminds me a lot of whats going on in the burner deep house scene, and the headier techno scenes. Around 1995 producers narrowed in on that supersaw hands up anthemic style, and the genre started to change dramatically. I like what it became too, but it’s a real shame that it came at the cost of the more delicate sound that dominated previously.

Celestial Object Goa 1983 -

Celestial Object Goa 90-92 -

Celestial Object Goa 94 -

Here’s a playlist of stuff I tracked down circa 90-95 -

I’ll buy just about any dance record made in the UK, US, Italy, or Germany between 89-94. Works like a charm.

I am finally seeing this sound come to prominence again in lo fi, techno, deep house, and experimental dance music and couldn’t be more excited.

Chill Out - 88-95

Have you heard this mix?

I have not! Thanks for sharing, great mix and exactly what I was talking about.

nothing good came of trance after '95 before that it was fast 150 BPM+ with squiggling acidic lines, in fact a more techno based counterpart to hardcore/jungle. i blame progressive house, EDM’s worst excesses can be traced to that sound.

Those Goa mixes are crazy, thanks for sharing them. It seemed like Trance, bought a great sense of unity. Everyone just enjoying the music, no agro.

A lot of good Trance was coming out of Germany and Belgium, are there clubs that you can hear decent trance sets ? It just seems odd that such a powerful genre would disappear. Like all genres things get out of hand and somewhat become damaged but the heads that really appreciated the 90’s trance authentic would surely keep pushing it ?

Leftfields Leftism album is an absolute work of art and is mainly trance/ trance influenced, the album is extremely well know and I’m sure it inspired and still inspires a lot of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fvimphEeN4

I would love to hear some modern trance like the stuff that was being made in the 90’s, like what is happening with hardcore at the moment, people have taken on board the original hardcore sounds but are now taking it in new and exciting directions.

A beautiful example of Trance at its best