Strictly no digital

personally IDGA_flying_F about vinyl and the fact that elitist vinyl fetishism locks me out of cool tunes royally chaps my ass.

topic now open for debate…

who’s got the 320s tho

Well I’m kinda a vinyl fetishist but tell me which tunes that are impossible to get in digital format if you really want them.

well, Ekster and Arcola just off the top of my head. plenty of others I reckon. Perlon, although I tend to just buy the CD and rip to my HD.

also, to be clear, I’m not knocking vinyl fetishism or fetishists. it’s just an expense and physical burden I want no part in. I just have a hard time understanding why labels choose to cut off potential revenue streams.

Whether digital or vinyl I doubt there’s any revenue of notice for underground labels. Releases are all promotion these days. Honestly I’d do vinyl and let the pirates/p2p sites do the rest.

I’ve bought less vinyl this year than I have in any year since 2001. I don’t think I’ve bought any new records at all. Mainly because it’s expensive but also because of the environmental impact. Both of these factors have started to make it feel like quite a decadent habit.
Buying lots more digital though and I think it’s expanding my horizons a bit. I’m perhaps a bit more choosy when I’m buying records and probably don’t give a lot of stuff a chance to get to like it.

True. I need to look at how much revenue bandcamp pass on to the artist. I’ve seen a few people on twitter complaining about it but my perception has always been that artists do quite well out of bandcamp sales.

the point I’m trying to make is that there’s a market for both. I don’t want a crackly pirated version of a tune ripped to P2P on questionable gear. I want the labels to accept my $10 in exchange for a nice clean WAV file.

Yeah I know what you mean and post- bandcamp it should be pretty easy. Though 5 years ago digital distribution was a pain in the ass. You’d quickly end up negotiating deals with streaming services which all seemed to f*ck you over and I understand that’d be demoralizing. Maybe it still is fine those hardliner vinyl labels.

for sure. and like, let’s be honest: I’m in no way hurting for new music. I think it’s just a classic case of wanting what I can’t have.

folks still use .wav for djing? i thought the lossless digital people would be already moved towards .flac by now, since now the metadata tagging actually exists

I mean, FLAC is fine. when I started digitally archiving my collection 10 years ago, iTunes did not support playback on that format so I prioritized WAV instead. I DJ through Serato and, yes, they could live outside the Apple ecosystem but I don’t really want to compress and re-import thousands of files into another platform.

i feel u. that’s why i dj with v0 mp3 mostly rn. tho when i get a new phone thats an android ill probs move over to like, foobar or smth, with flac as a priority

btw v0 > 320 fite me

Generally I don’t really care for vinyl either; It’s a thing I’d like to get into but due to a lack of money to get both the records themselves and also the equipment needed to play them, I’ve never bothered. Most vinyl I’m interested in usually has a digital version kicking about either from the label themselves or, as mentioned, on P2P sites.

So, because I don’t really bother with vinyl, my physical format of choice is CD. I have your exact problem, except its with digital-only releases that don’t have a CD release. Buying music digitally for me feels no different from getting it from P2P places and just isn’t as special as having the thing physically in your hands, so whenever there’s an album that I consider highly important to me or it’s something I especially love, I’ll make an exerted effort to scope out getting a CD copy. The only time so far that this plan didn’t work out was for SOPHIE’s new album which, surprise surprise, is digital-only for the time being. Outside of that difference, I’m totally with you.

If there’s a vinyl I can’t get because it sold out or whatever, and no digital is available to buy then I have no problem stealing it on Soulseek.

this seems especially silly when all of this is produced digitally.

i bought his ‘contraposition’ and still grabbed 320s from soulseek because its a bit impractical.

I’m a big fan of bandcamp sales of vinyl/cassettes, so I get instant gratification and something to have additionally.

edit: i sort of doubt anyone is going to have this in their secret banger stash as a dj. the promo only stamp is cheesy. its sort of playing off of all the wrongs sides of vinyl only culture imo. as much as I love death of rave - they need to stick to lps

Usually I find this incredibly frustrating because I almost exclusively buy digital, but in this case it seems more like it’s about all of the unauthorized samples than about format fetishization. Like if you get these records out quick on a small scale it’s different than if these files are living forever on a digital storefront, waiting to be discovered by Yello.

I just put out an EP on a vinyl only label. When I first did a record with this label in 2012 it felt like a cool thing to do, having a hand stamped and numbered edition with no repress. At this moment in time, however it feels limiting and a bit of a throwback to a passing fad. Vinyl is really annoying to produce at this point and environmentally really damaging, not to mention the shipping costs.

That being said, it is still a great feeling to have the physical copy show up at your door and hold it/play it. Files don’t have that feeling of completeness.