Reading / Literature Club

I was meant to read some other short stories of his for a module at uni before I took a year out, so thought I’d pick up this as it’s his most substantial works (I think?). Really enjoying the simplicity of how he introduces philosophical concepts, especially the way he uses time. My favourite stories so far have been Ibn-Hakam al-Bokhari, Murdered in His Labyrinth and The Two Kinds and the Two Labyrinths.

Really interesting as well reading this, after Roberto Bolano, and seeing the influence he’s had on him.

The%20Aleph%20Penguin%20Modern%20Classics

Looks interesting, was just reading about him on UbuWeb, will have a look at the stories you mentioned soon. I’m really in my Beckett phase at the moment, currently reading Molloy. My favourite of his so far is Malone Dies and the radio play Embers, which was produced for the BBC in the 50’s

I’ve only read bits and pieces of Beckett but based a Radio script on him last year.

Me and Nicholas Wilson covered this but using Embers, I’ll try find it.

Sounds cool, will definitely check this! More great South American literature:

Nice will check this out!

My goodreads account is here if anyone wants to follow

I just read “The Weird and the Eerie” by Mark Fisher (aka K-Punk) that has some really fascinating insights on the more uncanny aspects of art forms. Most of it centres on movies and books, but there’s a really fucking great chapter on The Fall and how they manage to mangle the grotesque into something genuinely weird-feeling. Lots of implications for music-making if you’re inclined to instill that sort of thing in the listener.

Im really into Hubert Selby Jr (requiem for a dream) and I’ve read nearly all his novels. Can anyone recommend something new/old that is similar?

Just finished “How To Wreck a Nice Beach” by Dave Tompkins. It’s a history of the vocoder, which as it turns out is far, far more complicated and engrossing than you’d likely imagine. It opens with details on how it was used as a secret communication protocol in WW2, and moves in very surprising directions after that. Particularly good chapter on Rammellzee too. Couldn’t recommend more, one of the best works of non-fiction i’ve read, let alone best music-related reads.

I’m trying Gravity’s Rainbow for the 8th or so time, hoping that some of it will stick in my brain

Been reading Hagakure: The Secret wisdom of the Samurai for about a week now. It’s kinda old and not for everyone, but it’s pretty insightful and offers useful perspectives through Bushido, the code of the samurai.

I don’t have this wavy cover looking like a 92’ rave flyer but it is an excellent book. £3 from my local market book stall too! If you like dystopian sci-fi, this is for you.

Yeeeeah just read it for the first time a few months back. Brilliant classic. Watch any interviews of Gibson? Not what one’d expect

Been reading a letter or two of this nightly

Blockquote[quote=“asuka, post:1, topic:193”]
Really interesting as well reading this, after Roberto Bolano, and seeing the influence he’s had on him.
[/quote]

Sold, definitely gonna pick this up. 2666 and The Savage Detectives are two of my favourite books I’ve read in the past few years.

Bill Drummond, of the KLF fame, wrote a lovely little book about growing old. Great insights about music, art, and… well everything, really.

This book by Olivia Laing is one of the most impressive I’ve read in a long time (maybe ever). It discusses loneliness and cures to loneliness in relation to certain American artists like Warhol, Wojnarowicz etc, but what makes it truly amazing is that it is written with so much empathy and love - really inspiring and helpful!

Love that the first comment on this thread mentions Borges and Bolaño. I’m definitely in the right place.

At the moment I’m doing some ‘light’ reading; just finished a 4-year BA in Philosophy so I want to wash my brain in some cool fresh water before my MA. Reading a collection of Kafka’s work published by Vintage, arguably quite a poor print (I’ve noticed that punctuation is missing in a few spots) but it cost me £3.50 from the second-hand book shop next to my flat. I’ve read most of it before and the translation is great, so don’t think I can complain!

Same, although I much preferred The Savage Detectives over 2666. Borges writes short stories but I feel his style of writing definitely informed Bolano’s.

A challenge, but it pays off in full to get through it. Like a literary acid trip for me. The ability Pynchon has to weave into and out of scenes is unparalleled.

download

“the goldfinch” by donna ttart

juxtaposition. plot. intrigue. MULTIPLE protagonists. high octane rip roaring balls to the wall character development. this book has it all. like robert galbraith arm wrestling with nassim taleb while dale carnegie arbitrates. nonputdownable (metaphorically). 7/10.