Proc Fiskal // Insula (Hyperdub)

08 June

Just getting into it now. No comments yet but so far it sounds like if a grime album was dropped on the Ghost Box label.

I’m liking all the random Glasgow patter in the background.

Likely my favourite non-rap album of the year, but this kind of emotionally tinged grime has always been my lane.

one of my AOTYs so far.

wrote a review which i think is going up tmw, will link it then…

definitely a ghost box vibe, i also thought of early four tet and manitoba (dan snaith’s old project), it rattles around a lot like those records did. which could so easily be a load of twee shite but Proc has such control over all the elements…

that track 2L blows my mind

Curious about your fav rap albums this year. Apart from the recent slew of Kanye projects, I’m hideously out of the loop this year.

Pleasantly surprised by this album. For some reason was sceptical of him doing a full length despite enjoying the EPs. It’s surprisingly beautiful. I think I was expecting it to be quite cold, so for it to be warm and emotional has caught me off guard in a good way.

I’m very late to the grime game and taking tentative steps. Saw a write up of this that sounded good. Just finished listening to this and really enjoyed it. As previously mentioned, the bits of sampled background chatter were cool (Background sample of R Kelly’s ignition made me smile too. It got stuck in a bassline remix recently, and me and an old friend were saying how, even though we don’t talk about R Kelly these days, ignition kinda still bangs).

exactly – the EPs are more functional, exercises in classic grime and jungle/dub (loosely) but the album is obviously so personal to him – it’s warm and melancholy at the same time. like grime for boards for canada fans.

i tried to give it BNM but no dice, lol

Enjoyed the review, Chal.

@chalravens +1 yeah at one point I had to actually check my phone to make sure I was still playing the same record and not my early '00s IDM playlist :wink:

First wiz through and it’s a nice and playful album, feeling much like a good headphone album rather than one for the club.

Thanks for the tip! :+1:

Great writeup. Nice one for trying to give it BNM haha. Hopefully people read your review and don’t just look at the number. Also, hopefully the fact that this is on Hyperdub will help get it noticed. Do people still care about the label? Not really sure what the consensus is anymore.

I feel like this is going to be a great summer album. It’s all warm, hazy and emotional. The vocal samples and the clip of ignition etc in the background really add to it for me.

Really kind of sums up the mood of the central belt in Scotland right now tbh. I keep trying to think of better noises, sounds and atmospheres that could better describe a midnight drive/stoat through either Glasgow or Edinburgh right now and can’t, just really captures it perfectly. Helps to be in a pensive mood as well, or maybe the album put me there.

great album. much less weapon focused like everyone has said, feel like it’s gonna be an unlikely summer staple.

‘dopamine’ sounds like it could have fit in a classic 04/05 Ruff Sqwad set - until the tune starts disintegrating before your ears. interesting to hear Fiskal at something closer to 140.

Went to his album release in Edinburgh on the 10th, seriously bringing something that’s been missing in music. Seamlessly flitted from genre to genre. A great time for all, closed with an absolute gabba banger, to see a scene spark out of nothing in a relatively dead city is incredibly inspiring

Only just listening to this now - wow, really loving it so far, feels like such a breath of fresh air.