Oneohtrix Point Never // Age Of (Warp Records)

This is going to be so good. 5 days until release. Let’s get excited yo :slight_smile:

Will update this thread with album art and a link once released :wink:

Anyone going to the listening parties for this? I kind of want to but I feel like this is the kind of album that needs to be experienced alone in the dark.

Why don’t you do both? I would definitely go to one of the parties, try to have fun and buy the record to listen at home if one of those were happening near me.

I bet they will do some good ambientation

I don’t know if I trust OPN after Garden of Delete. Total dud in my opinion. Hope this one is different.

owenlikeyou im a huge fan of everything he does but id concur that Garden missed something for me too. Im thinking what he was moving into on Garden might be more fully realised on Age Of and it will be one of his best yet.

Have felt so weirdly proud watching the success of Good Time and 0PN. Amazing movie.

It’s not that I won’t give it a listen, I’m just not into the hype it is receiving. All this about how nice the record looks and such, it’s total bullshit if the music is bad. But, it could be R Plus Seven take two and I’d be so happy.

I also completely missed Good Times, so I need to catch up.

I think… that’s probably a little, cruel - haha.

0PN has been doing his own, singular thing for so many years and so many records and we’re now in a period where (finally!) people have realised how brill he’d be at scoring movies (he won the Cannes soundtrack award for Good Time I think) he’s playing iconic venues all around the world, being asked to write music for Usher, hanging out with his film heroes… it’s just a great thing to see! So to that end I think it’s a perfect time for Daniel to be celebrated so heavily (and obviously that’s going to hype the new record). IDK - the attention he’s getting atm feels fair to me!

Also, if the record is bad - it doesn’t change how amazing the packaging/artwork it is - don’t know about anybody else but I’m buying a CD for the first time in 10 years!! :exploding_head:

Yeah, I can be a bit judgemental, I totally understand your sentiment. I will give it a listen and hope it is more R Plus Seven than Garden of Delete. I am absolutely not rooting against him, don’t get me wrong. Let’s hope it is amazing.

We want the same thing my friend! <3 honestly - get your eyeballs around Good Time, one of my favourite movies of the year and ya boy 0PN on score duties. :heart_eyes:

been ages since I didn’t seen several time same movie at theater, GOOD TIME is a so intense movie, perfect score.

Anyone going to the Barbican show?

Garden of delete was probably the first album I ever listened to seriously that could be considered experimental. I think 0pn is on another level and is doing to vaporwave what Aphex Twin did to techno: ripping it to pieces and reconstructing it how he wants.

so pumped about this record [tries to suppress fangirl squeal]

this comment makes me feel O L D .

@owenlikeyou p r o s t h e t i c s

Dat spacing x

Ok y’all one more day and then we can discuss. I’m in Australia (see: the future) so I guess I’ll be in here first haha.

RA review is pretty positive about it.

I enjoy the album quite a lot.
it sounds so much cleaner than Garden and isn’t crammed with dozens of different ideas. it seems to follow an inherent structure and I have to say that I’m quite fond of Daniel’s singing voice. so far, The Station and Black Snow are my favourite cuts, which comes as quite a surprise to me, since Black Snow felt way too solemn when the music video was released, but within the structure of the album the song truly stands out.

I never thought that where I go to read about basketball would have something about this album, but here we are: https://www.theringer.com/music/2018/5/31/17411758/oneohtrix-point-never-age-of

Listening to this now after going out for a run in the cold of midnight. Toys 2 is amazing, liking Black Snow also.