Music 2k19: Album/Mini-album/EP?

POLL: https://twitter.com/555x5555/status/1084531196766367744?s=21

option 4: Rapid Album!!

15+ trx (10–25 mins)

I’d really like for these rigid analog-based formats to disappear. I think most music production/composition would be a lot more interesting if track amounts and their duration were chosen as a result of musical consideration and not to correspond to notions of what an “EP” or “Album” needs to be. So often not only the track amount but also the lengths of the work dictate how the music is made rather than the music itself providing the definitions.
@ETC is completely on the right track with Whack World - the chosen form is coherent and highlights the music perfectly. There are too many releases with tracks that are too long because has to be x min long with n tracks. This complaint leaves out the issue of gaming Spotify and other streaming platforms…

Some positive examples:

totally agree! in his comprehensive overview of Autechre’s catalog, deep cuts points out that the group were one of the first acts to take liberties with the digital medium and actively subvert format conventions based on runtime alone (e.g. the Quaristice companion EP which ran over 2.5 hours).

@ETC’s got it its the rapid fire album. I blame The Locust.

however yet to really see an electronic act pick up this model, so far just rap pop and punk.

what’s the context? are we choosing how many songs patten should release in 19? album of course

if we’re just humming over semantics i’d say scrap the mini album idea, tis an album

Im here for any new takes on presentation. Otherwise im one to just refer to most anything as either an album or a single

Crypto album hidden in links throughout a series of internet puzzles and social media pictograms that lead to an immersive enviornment show / event / art installation / vindaloo dinner