Gábor Lázár // Unfold (The Death of Rave)

released May 4th

http://www.gaborlazar.com/

i am super in love with this stuff. transitioning from his previous drum-less stuff into this release is jarring in the best way for me. super mark fell-y but way more danceable, and soooo texturally exciting. definitely one of my favorites this year for me!! (also this is my first post, hello!)

This one is fantastic, and it’s a great evolution from his collaboration with Mark Fell. Definitely one of the best of the year so far for me!

coolest thing bout lazar imo is his songs (most the time) having (what seems like) only one audio source creating the whole song warbling melody, rhythym, n texture all at once

i checked out his early eps a few weeks ago n dug it. crisis of representation really hits the spot for my aforementioned description

also shouts out to him being a modern italian artist reppin it

discovered Gabor Lazar very recently and never clocked this new release. Wicked stuff… Reminds me a lot of Filter Dreads sonics. One to check for anyone into this release especially

Fav thing i’ve heard in a while, have so much time for Death Of Rave stuff

o u decided to join then

yeah i wanna see what gets you banned

Oh man this sounds absolutely nuts. Gonna go hit this one up on Deezer or smth real quick.

EDIT: Ok yeah holy shit this is super cool, wow

Been rinsing this one all week, total mind melting stuff :):slightly_smiling_face:

Coming back to it this morning, I realized its basically what you’d get if you took SND’s “tenderlove” album to its logical conclusion.

Lovely record, The Death of Rave can do no wrong :slight_smile:

I’ve got slightly mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, it absolutely bangs and I’m sure if it came on in a club setting I would go insane. Very, very well produced, loads of fantastic textures, extremely powerful stuff.

And yet as a self-contained listen it’s leaving me a bit cold. Find most of the tracks a bit too stripped back / functional to really get my head into, plus it feels like the sounds don’t expand that much beyond the areas Mark Fell, Errorsmith etc have mapped out. I guess this is true of many club-intended records.

Obviously none of these things really matter in DJ terms, but I feel like as a self-standing work things like the Sensate Focus series, or that last Errorsmith LP, had a bit more meat to them and a slightly more interesting balance of club / experimental ideas.

Was not in the know about this guy until now, really digging it and need to dive further into this label.

The 2nd track “elastic” is really fun

Nice. As @ehg already pointed out it has a lot of similarities with the last Errorsmith album. This one sounds more articulate in textures, and results more homogeneous than the other.

Even tho I really admire the sound design, sometimes it looks like the artist is putting too much focus on that, forgetting to care about the groove and the originality of the single track. Having said that I guess Repeater is my favourite track from the album.

Yeah this is one of my favourites too, but my favourite tracks are definitely the more “clubby” sounding ones than the exploratory ones. To me it’s like if Atavism era SND was listening to a lot of (instrumental) grime, especially on tracks like Squeeze, which I’m A O K with. It probably wouldn’t feel out of place on a Boxed LDN compilation.

This is so so so good. It has this repetitive Gabor Lazar thing all over, and it appeals so much to me. This one is for sure groovier than his earlier works, yet he kept his signature in it. I don’t actually relate these to any other artists but Sensate Focus, because he’s been so consistent and reliable. I always go back to EP16, which was really all I would listen to in 2014

very zany sonics! if mark fell and errorsmith are frank zappa then (by process of illumination) gabor lazár is captain beefheart. who would be jethro tull? lee gamble maybe?

I loves this record first. Very Errorsmith, Mark Fell as was pointed out. Of course Lorenzo Senni has an influemce over these sounds (it’s on his label after all).

I am sometimes a little underwhelmed with pastische which I think often rears its head in this style of music. Music like this (not that there is a lot of it) does itself a disservice when made (perhaps listened to) as commentary or being plain funny rather than self-sustained hard hitting minimalism. To that regard I find some of Mark Fell’s music and the Mika Vainio/Ryoji Ikeda/Alva Noto record to be more fulfilling listening just on their own merits.

I agree on supporting this and listening to it enough times for it to pass a few thresholds and allow the audio work to shine. Because yes it sounds amazing.

I already shared this release with a friend and this thread more than anything had me realise I need to go back in for a pair of extra listens.

this record is superb. for all of mark fell’s undeniable brilliance, I wouldn’t trust him to crush a peaktime dj slot. this, however, is mind/body music of the highest order.

ps am I literally the only person on earth who was totally underwhelmed with errorsmith? totally boring, unmemorable, and over-hyped. no disrespect to the guy, of course, but c’mon people…

listening to this not knowing who this is at all it sounds rubbish to me so kinda fascinated by how many ppl seem to really like it in this thread