Felicita // hej! (PC MUSIC)

http://smarturl.it/felicitahej

The announcement came with the release of a new song, “marzipan”

There’s also the title track which will be on here as well (Strobe warning)

While personally I prefer when felicita does full on bangers like “a new family”, I have to say there’s something incredibly enchanting about the work they’re currently putting out. It kind of feels…wrong? for it to be released on PC MUSIC. It’s so completely unlike anything that’s on the label. Regardless, I’m making this post a bit early than needs be to allow for some nice discussion about the artist and as a heads up for any felicita fans who haven’t heard the news yet.

Tracklist

1. hej!
  2. coughing up amber
  3. elena
  4. soft power I
  5. soft power II
  6. shook
  7. marzipan (feat. Caroline Polachek)
  8. elena again
  9. night soil (fade out)
  10. mosaic genetics

@avery are you one of those inside-job, undercover PC Music affiliates I keep hearing about infiltrating all the forums…? :wink:

I assure you I have absolutely no idea what you’re on about :wink:

just when you think every aesthetic has been tapped…

this is definitely interesting, not something you’d expect coming out of the Pc music crowd, but I’ll have to keep an eye on it.
Hopefully it turns out pretty good, these songs sound pretty already but at the moment it feels a bit substanceless, music wise…
like the music is really just pretty simple sad reverby piano singing, the only thing unique here is the general “concept”/world its trying to evoke here through the videos, but we’ll see if it’s worth our time on the full release I suppose, or if it’s just relying on the videos more than actually evoking these places and feelings sonically.

There’s definitely something about these songs that is cool. It also makes sense that Felicita is of Polish origin. These two songs seem to be heavy influenced by Ksiezyc (moon), a Polish cult band that released stuff in the 90s and also recently resurfaced at Unsound. Guess we will see if his new record will bring something new to the table besides juxtaposing polish folklore with high gloss fashion imagery.

Two new tracks dropped today:

shook is a very distorty angry type tune whilst coughing up amber is the final form of coughing up pearls from a new family ep

It’s out~

EDIT: OK, I’ve had a listen to it. It’s very much a modern classical/ambient bit of work with some more beat driven pieces (coughing up amber, shook) thrown in for good measure. There’s definitely some nice textures going on in this album but it’s a little bit incoherent. Transitions between “hej!” and “coughing up amber” sort of work but then there’s tracks which have more of an abrupt ending to them like “soft power ii” that just kind of slam face first into the subsequent song. I feel if a bit more thought had been given to the track order, it would probably work much better as an album; you could start off strong with the beat driven tracks and then slowly sink into the moody and fairytale-adjacent ambiance quite well, but this album just doesn’t do that.

I definitely appreciate what felicita is doing here, its very original and unlike anything ever heard on PC Music before (though the mould of the default PC Music sound was thoroughly broken by Month of Mayhem) and beautifully crafted overall. But I think their production truly shines when doing their beat driven stuff like the first half of “coughing up amber” and “a new family”, more than anything else.