Favourite music docs/films

Really enjoyed the Sky Arts documentary - Generation Grime

Lots of good stuff in there. Follows the scene from Lord of the Mics & Crazy Titch/Dizzee to ‘Wearing My Rolex’ all the way through to Stormzy and the next generation coming through.

Thought it would be a good chance to share some film/doc recommendations

On a Techno one - Tresor doc is pretty good

On a random one - Oasis - Supersonic is fucking hilarious

Elektro Moskva is a fantastic movie about making weird Synthesizers in (ex-)USSR:

adding the trailer:

brilliant idea. let me scan my memory banks and get back. stoked to see what others come up with.

doc about the hague music scene with lots of footage with I-F, legowelt and labelmates

Tape Crackers (Rollo Jackson, 2011)
“Tape Crackers charts fanatic Mike Finch’s expansive hoard of nineties pirate radio tapes. His anecdotes and recollections paint a historical and also candid portrait of the jungle genre.”

Full film:

Deconstructing Dad, the documentary about synth/sequencer pioneer Raymond Scott, is very cool indeed.

‘From the 1950s through the 1970s he invented and refined a dazzling array of electronic musical instruments (as well as other devices like an early fax machine), that were years ahead of what was being done elsewhere. Scott’s crowning invention, The Electronium, which he described as ”an instantaneous composition and performance machine,” was purchased by Berry Gordy for Motown, and Scott worked for Motown for several years as their Director of Electronic Music Research and Development.’

One of my favourite films about dance music is “It’s All Gone Pete Tong.” Funny, clever, sweet — it makes me feel good every time I watch it. (Also directed by Canadian Michael Dowse of FUBAR fame.)

Pump Up The Volume. A documentary about House, Techno and a lot of the stuff that came after. Including interviews with so many big ppl MAW, Derrick May, Joey Beltram, Goldie to name a few.

There’s a part 3 but it’s hard to find

This short doc about an eccentric norwegian dude

I’ve always had a really soft spot for this 1996 BBC doc on LTJ Bukem and his management crew.

If you want to be a tour/artist manager, then they should show this as required viewing!

(admittedly a little passe at this point but) this was a great little film and a time capsule from both a special time in dance music and a special time in my life

also, not sure if this technically qualifies, but I think this movie deserves a mention

I got a dvd a few years back about Alan Lomax called ‘Lomax the Songhunter’.
It follows a reporter retracing Lomax’s steps as he documented folk music from around the world.
It’s a really nice road movie as much as it is insightful.

The Minutemen doc ‘We Jam Econo’ is a lovely story even if you’re not a fan of the band. If you’re a fan of the concept of friendship you should enjoy it :grin:. It basically follows Mike Watt as he drives around Pedro telling stories.

We Jam Econo is fantastic (I am a huge fan of the band and so should everyone else be!)

Minutemen’s whole attitude to making music and what “punk” means is very inspiring. More ppl shld jam econo imo.

‘Maestro’ is definitely high up on my list, exploring the early days of house music with Larry Levan at the Paradise Garage. Used to be on Youtube but BR has it up for streaming now.

That fairly recent BBC doc about Daft Punk was very good.

Searching for Sugar man is an obvious but still epic good film.

24 Hour Party People is a favourite of mine.

Control - Biographical on Ian Curtis.

Gimmie Shelter - About Altamon festival where someone was killed right in front of the main stage after bikers were tasked with security.

Blues Brothers - If you’ve never watched it, fix it right now. A musical with performances from James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker and Cab Calloway. As well as one of the best car chases in the history of film.

“We Call It Techno” is a really interesting exploration of the early techno scene in Germany - the evolution away from kraftwerk and industrial rock towards acid house and techno. Features interviews with many of those who were key to the scene:

Just watched the new Suzanne Ciani doc A Life in Waves, super inspirational story about one of synth’s biggest pioneers. Its for sure on Amazon, probably streaming elsewhere.

Really want to see that one all about the 808 but cant find it anywhere. Anyone seen it/rate it? Interviews with Bambaataa/Arthur Baker etc.