Favorite Muslimgauze albums?

Just joined, surprised no one’s made a topic on Muslimgauze yet.
Utterly visionary experimental electronic musician, i say that because ‘ethnic electronica’ feels a little disheartening of Wikipedia to slap on him. His albums are so scattershot but they’re juicy, every one of them.

Everything that is happening in electronic music now he already did 20 years ago, flawlessly, without any scene or guidance. He was doing it all by hand—this whole mix of ambient, field recordings, breakbeats, techno, dub, sound collage, concrete music, industrial, he’s literally done it better than anyone has since. And then there’s the mystery of it. Everything about him is so mysterious—he’s willingness to perform so many works, and just the fact that he’s dead. It’s so ahead of time, especially in this subject matter. It was rogue then; now it’s defined our world for over a decade, and it appears to keep going on in that direction. It’s so ahead of it’s time, and so unique, so him. Even though it references all this music, it’s all centered around one man.

^ quote from Dominick Fernow (Prurient)

I remember lo-fi india abuse as pretty heavy stuff also mazar-i-sharif had some ‘bangers’ as they say nowadays. It’s a bit hit and miss though and somewhat difficult to listen to albums as a whole because of the sheer radical and almost ‘oppressive’ production style.

Yeah, there’s points where albums of his actually become terrifying because of really high treble that just echoes through both ears for a couple of seconds, but i feel like that’s part of the experience. Like with Return of Black September or Uzbekistani Bizarre & Souk despite them both being very different albums. ‘Leboneeze’ off the latter fucking scares me

Quite partial to Rootsman vs Muslimgauze but his catalogue is frankly intimidating and I’ve not found many great references, so I’m a novice. Looking forward to this thread’s suggestions.

His 90s output on Extreme comes highly recommended. Beautiful stuff. Way ahead of its time, like Mr. Prurient correctly stated. His Vatican Shadow project is basically a big hommage to Muslimgauze.

excited this thread was made. i just copped his nightlands album with his other buddies in the scene at the time and i think that alone is stupendous, especially his track. enthused to start listening to whatever is posted here

Fuck yes, Nightlands ! Nightlands is a brilliant compilation, evokes that misty nocturnal 80s industrial vibe that 90s Muslimgauze captures in a downtempo techno way like on Veiled Sisters or Betrayal. I would definitely recommend those two albums, they’re quite vividly early 90s. Lots of hazy synth drones + arabesque melodies and drum machine sounds

this is always tough and fluctuates depending on what zone i’m in but gun to my head i’ll always probably say izlamaphobia.

the best part about the 'gauze (already in this thread in fact) is that someone’s favorite album will be one you either never checked or sort of glossed over, and you pretty much always have new stuff to listen to.

truly one of the greats.

yeah, you basically need a starter’s guide. again, part of the reason i love it so much. one of the rare artists where playlists actually help too; i’ve found a few good user-curated ones on spotify.

I’m also someone who hasn’t really properly delved into his albums yet purely due to the sheer amount of them but I remember quite enjoying Azzazin and Islamophobia, specifically CD 1. The dude creates some fascinating sounds but often it’s a little bit too abrasive for me to keep listening. Thugghee from Nadir of Purdah (or Nile Quadra) is another favourite for the mysterious sound, also. Reminds me of Huerco S.'s Colonial Patterns at points.

If anyone has a good spotify playlist as a starter I’d love to check it out. Bit overwhelmed by the discog as a whole. Got into Coil through Youtube playlists (because barely anything is on Spotify). An artist that has always intrigued me though.

Nadir of Purdah is also one of my favorites, although released today this might have come with a trigger warning with something that sounds like an ode to the Taliban.

Yeah, his politics were unfortunately always shady as fuck…

That kinda goes with the industrial genre/movement which he was somewhat associated with

I’ve always been intimidated by the weight of the back-catalogue… which I’ve felt I should get into after hearing (more than once!) the comment: “all these kids rating Demdike Stare n Vatican Shadow who haven’t listened to Muslimgauze”.

Loving this mix though. DJ Marcelle must have a serious Muslimgauze vinyl collection…

i discovered Muslim Gauze just recently (1-2 years ago). I was astonished. It was like a revelation. I wouldn’t say there is a favourite album (nor I feel the need to choose one). As much as possible.
For me is a mystery that someone is still releasing his music. Who? And are you 100% sure he is dead?