Drexciya/Transllusion/The Other People Place etc

Well, just noticed a new Transllusion 12" appeared on Clone: https://www.discogs.com/Transllusion-A-Moment-Of-Insanity-/release/11990237

Also, given the insane feedback of recent The Other People Place repress on Warp i suspect we may see at some point even that Elecktroids LP too… also not sure but someone (maybe Serge from Clone) said there’s more unreleased tracks.

Let’s see!

I’ve heard the same thing about more unreleased Gerald Donald (or affiliated) music.
Hard to keep track though. There’s a lot of good Dutch labels coming with solid reissues from
all over.

Well, there’s that XOR Gate from Donald out now which is good in my opinion :slight_smile:

@cilonen picked this up yesterday - quality stuff!

Yep, there’s so much to collect, I guess there’s more post-drexciya stuff now than Drexciya itself.

Those 4 x Journey Of The Deep Sea Dweller compilations (that were remastered) really are terrific.

Drexciya Compilations on Discogs

That Xor Gate LP is really great - the best GD material for a while, I think

Revisited the Jack Peoples release from last year that I found hella underwhelming when it first came out but at the end of day, even an underdeveloped James Stinson jam is still a James Stinson jam.

Speaking of which, personal fave of his:

I had no idea about this Jack’s people release. Shame on me!

Link: Jacks People - Laptop Cafe

To be fair, it didn’t really get the press it should have…but then again, I suppose that’s to be expected. Drexciya Research Lab did some GREAT pieces expanding on the release:

http://drexciyaresearchlab.blogspot.com/2017/07/

There’s a new Arpanet thing out today, a split release with 30drop on 30D records, haven’t really seen anything about it anywhere

Their side projects are super underrated as well
dopplerefekt is huge for me

Well this one nearly passed me by…

I will revisit the Dopplereffekt LP, Cellular Automata, today - I remember liking it but it was devoid of those amazing 808 beats…

I would absolutely love to see GD live…There’s a few live sets online and they always perform alternative versions of tracks, plus new stuff… This is a favourite of mine…

https://www.mixcloud.com/deepspace5/dopplereffekt-live-set-bloc-2011/

:heart_eyes:

I’m still very behind on my Drexciya gubbins; love me a bit of Other People Place and Elecktroids, any other must-listen albums I need to hit up? I have the Sea Dweller compilations, just need to get around to hearing em proper.

@avery I have a soft spot for Neptune’s Lair; it was my formal introduction to them and I think it stands among their best work. I remember special ordering it from the local punk/experimental record store in my hometown sometime around senior year of high school or freshman year of college. I had very much been seduced by moody, complex IDM a la Autechre and Aphex and was legitimately disappointed when I first heard the album. it was quirky, but not like Vibert quirky, which I could handle. it was almost silly sounding and borderline simplistic compared to the advanced/maximalist programming I was getting into. I shelved it for maybe a year (?) until one winter we got plowed by this massive snowstorm and, at once, the record made perfect sense as I drove crosstown at night, city completely deserted, enormous snowflakes falling on my windshield, piles of perfect virgin snow crunching underneath, echoing inside the car.

@criminiminal I had almost the exact same sentiments around Drexciya in the early/mid 90s. Together with a couple of other ultra-minimal Detroit artist (Terrence Dixon, Daniel Bell) Drexicya was a shock to the system, although it was Unknown Aquazone that did it to me. No more “IDM” for me from that point.

Neptune’s Lair is a classic. The tracks are almost vignettes/jams but really work together.

Yes, Neptune’s Lair was my first intro to Drexciya also, and I really loved it. Took me ages to find a physical copy but I got there in the end.

ha, yeah, I think I probably came out on top on this release when I got around to liquidating my physical collection. maybe you got my old one…hope I didn’t charge you too much :slight_smile: