Abul Mogard // Above All Dreams (Ecstatic)

c’mon now, no one actually really believes this improbable yarn about an elderly-ex-factory-worker-turned-modular-avant-gardist, do they?

who is this guy?

an ex factory worker without formal music education making avant-garde electronic music? the very idea is unthinkable! now if you’ll excuse me i have to go dust the jlin shrine in my basement

really though having only heard of him now my opinion is i can see how it might be a fake backstory, but also it doesn’t automatically strike me as unbelievable nor as the kind of thing someone might build up if they were trying to use it as a marketing backstory

Love the music but also find the back story largely implausible.

Yeah the backstory seems like it’s fake, here’s an enhanced image of who I believe to be the performer from the live video that’s available on youtube

hairguy

That dude has hair. But here’s the image of the guy that is supposedly Abul Mogard

That is a bald man. I do not think this is the person who performed live as Abul Mogard.

maybe it’s Anna Delvey

I love Mogard’s music and I dig the backstory, so I’m happy to roll with it. It’s charming, and I think it fits with the vibe of the music.

I’m hyped for this, but not paid until the end of this week, so will be picking it up then.

big fan of the music, don’t get me wrong. and the backstory probably would have been charming to me 15 years ago. I just think that, altogether, there’s an increasing over-reliance on pedigree and provenance to sell records anymore.

Your mileage may vary, innit? I figure it’s harmless enough, it’s not culturally appropriative (as far as I can see, but will give way to any Serbians who’d say otherwise), but I can see where you’re coming from.

An ambient album hasn’t captured me like this one in quite a while. Not familiar with his previous work. I think “Above All Dreams” is a perfect name for this. Feels like a synthy/mechanical Stars of the Lid. Has a similar emotional weight whilst being droney and glacial.

I heard he’s Burial.