What Was Blog House?

Yeah oizo did a decent remix of merrymaking at my house

Been listening to this stuff so much lately. God it just feels like it’s got so much of what I can’t get from modern dance music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOpThWd-XYk

Listening to this mix right now, just absolutely incredible

we asked exactly the same question at FACT a few years ago. had a lot of fun writing this with Scott Wilson and April Clare Welsh.
we included the Crookers/Hollertronix angle as best we could but this is still a UK perspective i’d say. remember when geography meant something!

here’s a YouTube playlist:

decent article and list. that uk/austrailia angle was definitely part of the movement.

the blogs/internet kinda took it out the traditional, he comes the uk/euro trend from new york to la, and it just based and blew up in LA, since it wasnt very favoritably looked on by many in NYC. Of course a ton of the artists were from or based in NYC but its still interesting how many people in the last decade moved from nyc to la(or other places). NYC IMO has never really recovered at the creative kickstarter center of the states. Its still a great city but even the locals all bemoan what it has become. but it is safe so i guess good for tourists/tourism

I came across this a couple weeks ago and was embarrassed about subliminally lifting the wording without linking the article. I remember reading this when it came out and the title must have stuck. Such a great dive into the scene, and the title remains a valid question to this day!

Wow such a great thread. I’m going to have to spend time reading everything in it and see what I may have missed out on. At the time this stuff was called Electro and then Electro House to differentiate it from the past incarnation. To me Blog House / Bloghaus came out as a term after the fact but works as a good way to be clear about the time period and the scene. Dirty Electro House works as well. But I just loved that Indie and Electronic just cross-pollinated and made a really great scene before EDM capitalized and profited after all this hard and FREE work. :frowning:

Anyway a lot of great scenes surrounding this, including New Rave, French Electro, The German Electro Tech scene, Japanese Electropop, Fidget, and Funktronica, all on the outskirts of this… a great time period. :smiley:

i loved this thread too. thanks for reviving! i heard all of this music when i was around 10-13 and it was what got me into electronic music. didnt know there was such name for it

The Never Be Alone Again Book is a great overview of this scene. Well worth picking up.
Have a few mixes