Virtual Revelations

Yeah I don’t agree with that stuff at all. If you see the kind of stuff developers are doing with facial recognition, tracking, etc with new tech that’s out there you would see that’s where the potential is. VR is ultimately limiting because it’s restricted to confined / controlled places since it’s all encompassing. AR is not. Put in other words, VR is an game console; AR is a smart phone. It’s obvious which is more ubiquitous.

But like…that technology is exactly the stuff I don’t want. It’s exactly the stuff a lot of people don’t want either. In fact that stuff is usually the kind of reason why someone would want to hide within VR forever in the first place if you ask me :stuck_out_tongue:

I think there’s a valid point to the semantics of AR/VR being in flux right now. perhaps there comes a point when it’s just R.

So there’s a documentary about how VR is used to help PTSD army boizzz.
It’s on Netflix,
Title: Dark Net
Season 2, Episode 1 “My Mind”

The graphics of that VR program is trash but that was probably filmed in 2016, so I allow it.

I agree that AR extends to things like the camera translation in Google Translate. I used that a lot when on holiday in France over the summer and a few people who saw what it was doing came over to comment on it. One person said, “seeing this makes me feel like I’m living in the future”. As a person who works in tech I often assume everybody knows about this stuff, so it was interesting to see people who found it, frankly, mind-blowing that you can do things like this, and with devices that are nearly ubiquitous.

It shows that we do have uses for AR and the technology works well. But, IMO, the engagement model of holding up your smartphone to look at the world through it still feels a bit clumsy.

One of the reasons I recently got excited about VR is Google’s Daydream headset being able to browse chrome… Like imagine the internet in virtual reality… Wikipedia in VR.
I mean that’s def not gonna excite everyone like me but

@lynn I dunno, that could definitely be cool…especially if we could traverse and travel between towering skyscrapers of hypertext like in Gibson’s original vision of cyberspace…

Exactly! I want to live in hypertext
Just as well it’s exciting to imagine the possibilities of vr meets the internet… Like imagine the internet if it could be experienced in different forms and shapes… or with entire ambiences.
Reminds me of the “game” that’s the Water Texture Museum (on my phone or I’d link)

that sounds gnarly cool.

Just got a Magic Leap here. Still early tech and has a bunch of problems but reinforces in me that AR >>> VR.

i know the majority of this thread is regarding the media transformation/implications of VR (escape reality forever, logistics of VR vs. normal media experience, etc.) but i ponder heavily on the economic/human need implications it has

like AI, VR is gonna transform the job market and fuck up the world heavily just like big data industry has. im not saying this as a wholesomely bad thing, but its a critical thing to consider the VR trepidation of major job markets

for instance teaching - training and teaching of things are gonna be obsolete with the ability to plug on ur VR and hands on do XYZ. the integrations of that in schools is inevitable to me, just like the digital integration of laptops over books, online teaching over blackboard, etc. this is one of the major ones ive read about, but if others have ideas or reference to other industries that would subtly be undermined by VR integration please add

just experienced the plank!