Promotion struggles

My own habits re: fb boosting are:

• boost something only when you have a new release that you want people who like your page to actually see
  • use an image or a video rather than a link preview
  • don’t pin your hopes on it, & if in doubt just save your money :slight_smile:

@dzyg and @hence_therefore

Both of you start out with the premise that one’s label has followers, regardless whether those are people who like your page or people who are your friends, but my experiment is about starting from scratch.

By starting from scratch, I mean that I started with a fresh facebook page and I didn’t invite all my friends from facebook to like the page because I wanted to see how I can grow a real fan base and not “likes” that I begged for from people who are totally not interested in what I’m doing musically.

The same way goes with my personal relations.

I like the idea of posting on reddit and 4chan, so I will do that (and will update if it had any effect) :).

Other than that, I am interested in how PR agencies manage to push a track or release to a DJ to play while forcing them to leave feedback in order to be able to download (and they do this “heavy work”), yet when I e-mail the same DJ with straight download links they just ignore my e-mail. LOL

I mean I get sent promos from PR agencies as well and 90% of the music i get sent is not for me so i consider it spam…

Now, I would like to put myself in other small labels’ shoes and see:

How do they plan their marketing campaign?

You’re a step ahead of many simply because you’re using the word ‘campaign’ and the associated connotation that there is a solid strategy being considered over a period of time that you can then review thereafter.

So, I would take a step back on your campaign and initially ask what it is you’re trying to achieve by running the campaign in the first place. This will help drive your actions within the campaign.

Based on your strategy I would anticipate that your objective for your campaign is exposure. On that basis, I would ensure that every contact you make has a strong CTA that leads to some form of further exposure.

What are you asking contacts to do? How are you tracking whether or not they have done that?

How do they deal with the disappointment of all the efforts vs. benefits from these efforts?

This is the most important part of your post. At B-DEM we’re all highly experienced in Business Development, Sales and Marketing so we have really thick skin for rejection and the slow burn of conversion.

You need to be aware of the compound effect and understand that every time you make a contact you’re knocking on a door for opportunity. Eventually doors start opening, and exponentially the more doors that open the more others are waiting to.

Never see an effort as a wasted one and never feel hopeless. Just focus on what you can do each day, and every day will bring its own new gift.

I share music business advice daily as posts on my LinkedIn :slight_smile: Worth a follow: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshuatobiassmith/detail/recent-activity/shares/

Nobody is really looking for anything of value from the Facebook stream. You’re better off going to groups and where people are actively searching for music etc.

Alternatively, make your music a meme.

I didn’t invite all my friends from facebook to like the page because I wanted to see how I can grow a real fan base and not “likes” that I begged for from people who are totally not interested in what I’m doing musically.

You should still utilise that core audience as their interaction will travel through their network.

If you are not utilising existing contacts then I really don’t see how you are expecting your content to go any further? :thinking: Followers don’t just magically appear. - Unless you use media, but as you have experienced that’s very difficult and is easier to crack once you already have a following. Kind of paradoxical, but further along your journey the pieces start to fit.

Other than that, I am interested in how PR agencies manage to push a track or release to a DJ to play while forcing them to leave feedback in order to be able to download (and they do this “heavy work”),

Good PR companies make solid relationships and network. They don’t just blind email DJs, they have already met them for beer and got a good understanding what they should be sending them and built their credibility by putting a face to an email. You’re far more likely to open an email from a reputable company who you know understands your needs.