Oneohtrix Point Never // Age Of (Warp Records)

Toys 2 and Same are mind-blowing tbh

I’d suggest you to read the explanation of the concept behind the whole album (and the Myriad shows). It enhances the listening a lot.

You can find it here: http://thequietus.com/articles/24645-oneohtrix-point-never-age-of-interview

dude same i go there like every day for my nba circle jerkin and see opn on the head n im like what

never been a fan of zoladz writing tho, i prefer the quietus’ interview

I’m only three tracks in but damn is it good so far. Good contender for Album of The Year!

i love lopatin. he always delivers - i think he didnt do anything weak since i am following him (2013)

spectacular album! love every second of it. on repeat.

Didn’t listen to any of the singles, so had no idea what to expect. Digging the weird auto-croon vibe to be honest.

shocked at anyone calling this his poppiest, most accessible, etc. to me this is the most cryptic and bizarre collection of music he’s put out maybe ever. i’m deeply in love with it all the way through though. but seriously did not know what to make of it the first few times… i think it’s incredibly overwhelming while also being his most spacious work.

i could ramble on and on about this album (and already have to friends so i will try and be more brief here) but right now i’m mostly feeling like this is his least looking-backwards/least nostalgic album. i’ve been a major OPN fangirl since replica but i don’t think i’ve ever felt this challenged by any of his work. not to say it is my favorite, it’s way too soon for that kind of thing. but i will say that r plus seven & GOD hit me hard from the get-go – i think my first time listening to r plus was potentially the most emotional experience i’ve ever had with music; this one is way more of a slow burner, and i think potentially more rewarding upon deeper inspection than those were, not to undermine the depth of either. age of probably has just as much going on, but it is presented in a wayyy subtler way.

not listened to this one yet. been put off by the hype (again) around anything 0PN related for a while. I absolutely love every album up to and including the first warp one, not given garden a full listen, not massively into the autotuned bits. but i have to say, he talks absolute garbage half the time. i mean, he’s in a position to do that for some reason, being part of that whole wave of early 2010s Pitchfork hype, maybe the darling of it in fact. Then a really shitty gig in London to promote Returnal and try to put Games on the map (that was so bad) . Usually all that would put me off his music, but having been an early rider on the 0PN bandwagon, i was at his first London show in a pub in Stockwell (this is unusual for me, I don’t normally hear about people until they’re headlining glastonbury) we spoke with him afterwards and I can confirm he’s always talked a lot of guff.

Will definitely listen to it, but as someone said, not blindly paying for it like I did with all the others.

Replica all the way for me, listening to it after a break of about a year or so in a whole new environment, sublime.

Saw him for the first time in a few years last night - the new stuff sounded absolutely stunning. Excited to listen to the LP now - had been dodging it due to all the talk of harpsichords…

I feel kind of similar. I really loved GOD and r plus seven, but Age Of and the Good Time soundtrack didnt give me the same reaction, as when listening to GOD and R Plus Seven for the first time. Will have to give the album more listens, but so far, it’s actually kind of underwhelming. I dont think it’s bad, but i just wanted/expected something completely different.

i agree with u w/r/t how it ‘hits’ u at first, that kinda underbelly sensitivity that pierces u

i dont want to sound to meta or spew guff but ive pondered on that
sensation a lot lately. i think that feeling thats elicited is powerful
cuz i find myself applying it to personal memories/emotive mindstates.
like an emotional vessel or something, even if im cognizant of the
grander idea/place the song is putting me in

with age of i dont get that on the first listen or even after the
10th or whatever its been now. aside from a few moments like the end of
toys 2 and the last song, i think thats what makes this release so
strong. it feels so ahead of where my brain can tether things that for
better or worse its profound

Had a full listen to it last night. It ranks higher than R+7 or G.o.D. for me personally, but I’m still not sure I’m that big a fan of it. There’s definitely stand out tracks on it for me (Manifold, The Station, Toys 2, Same) and it’s certainly one of his most coherent works overall, but I just wasn’t really feeling it much. Maybe I need to go in for a second dip, but it felt a little bit too long and wasn’t really up to the same kind of quality as seen on, say, Replica. IDK.

I’m…not sold. Garden of Delete was one of my least favourite projects OPN has put out, so I wasn’t waiting to be bowled over, but then Black Snow came out and I genuinely thought this could have been a really interesting step change.

But the final album seems a bit of a mess.

I get he’s followed his own unique path and I appreciate fully the musical talent and vision behind it. But do I enjoy listening to it as an album? Nah. It’s definitely a step forward from Garden of Delete, and I agree that a good chunk of the tracks are his most accessible yet…but as an album it’s a mess. myriad.industries, for example, which is meant to be some sort of ident for business pitches (…alright) is just thrown in the middle of the track listing, killing the momentum of Toys 2 and Black Snow.

It’s not bad, but it’s not one of my favourites. I can’t see any of the tracks having the same impact on me as, say, Zebra or Replica.

Not doing it for me 0pn

After being somewhat offput by garden of delete (despite seeing him live while touring for that album and really enjoying the show) I wasnt sure what to make of this one. I think 50% of it is some of his most excellent work (hugely into “same” ) but not entirely sold on the rest.

@glociks Japan import what?!

Haven’t been able to sit through it. I’ve tried a few times, watched the Black Snow video. This whole project has such an insider art world darling feel to it, I’m having trouble getting past it. $60+ tickets for his live show, that super hollow video for black snow, this precious music, the over the top production. Who is this album for? Do they even like music?

When will he get over himself and release a trance record with A. G. Cook?

@euth I felt this way about the last Arca release. seduced by his own pseudo-subversive spectacle, he cemented his art darling status amongst the lifestyle set and made a record too precious for me to even approach.