How Much Is Too Much?

we hear a lot about the positive, democratizing effect Bandcamp is having on independent artist’s take-home revenues. this is indisputable. but, with so much inconsistency on how music is priced from artist to artist, i’m curious to know how much you all are willing to actually pay for it.

there are a number of labels i follow who consistently put out digital releases in the $4-7 realm and, in most cases, i am happy to shell out. but on the flipside, i see the evidence that way too many artists have a pretty high opinion of themselves and charge outrageous amounts just for an EP.

as we all see week to week, there are DOZENS of releases all competing for our attention. runtimes are getting shorter (i want to say all of Kanye’s 2018 releases + Jesus Is King were all under a half hour). in our age of over-production and over-consumption, is it really fair to charge $12 for a digital EP? below is a small sampling of how people are pricing their music on BC. what are your thoughts?

39 minutes; $0 ($0.00/min)

24 hours; $24 ($0.02/min)

25 minutes; $12 ($0.48/min)

22 minutes; $12 ($0.55/min)

Being new to buying digital, I have been amazed on how cheap bandcamp is.
Sometimes I see releases trying to get around 5 £/$ for one track, and if its something I really like, thats reasonable to me, above that i’ll use it as an excuse to try to stop buying more tunes.
Generally the prices seems to follow the opposite of my taste, really good things are cheap and a bit boring things are more often more expensive.

What I find weird and silly is “VINYL ONLY” on bandcamp
that seems like more of a fashion statement.

What id like to se more of is things like who mastered the files, if its 24 bit or 16 bit . . .

Great topic. Personally I think when basically 97% of your audience is going to be freeloading by streaming on spotify or youtube, it is JOKES to be expecting the absolute minority of people who want to give you money for your work, your actual fans, to pay $10/$15 bucks. I’ve basically never bought anything on bandcamp for more than 2 or 3 bucks a track or 5 or 6 bucks for a collection of tracks.

I love your reviews on bandcamp! you are everywhere on there. glad you’re here and great post.

My policy lately is to grab whatever I can that is free, sample all that I can through Spotify and Bandcamp, and support artists at shows by buying a ticket and merch or music in person as often as possible.

However when I do make a decision to buy new music, it’s often because that music is connected to a memory or space through that sampled listening experience I got through streaming it or seeing someone live. So when I shell out cash and it’s $30 for an LP, this happens because I wanna have a piece of vinyl that will forever remind me of that NYC subway ride in a lightning storm last October when I listened to Quantic’s Atlantic Oscillations a few days after seeing him at the Good Room and it hit just right.

In the past when I’ve been more into djing home listening on big speakers and collecting tunes for sets, anything more than $15 for an album was about my limit. If I were to buy some studio monitors, which I’ll probably do in late winter after traveling, I’m sure I’d prioritize high quality music over streaming and start shelling out $2-3 a tune on bandcamp. But even then, the tunes I buy might get lost in the stream and I feel like I’d regret paying that much for anything less than vinyl.

I would like to create a 25 track high quality Bandcamp bought playlist every 2-3 months or so that would be mostly bass heavy 120+ bpm stuff but honestly its time consuming and these days I spend money elsewhere for other experiences so it’s low on the priority list. But if I were nerding out again and digging that’s what I’d be into.

For me, it’s about the relationship I have with the music, the space I’ll enjoy it, and the permanence or physicality of the media I choose to cop. Ive had files full of digital tunes I paid hundreds for that became forgotten, lost in the archives of my hard drive, and then found that once I do find them only one or two are actually meaningful and I kinda felt like I wasted my money.

But if I were playing parties and creating memories for other people in spaces, I’d probably shell out $40 a week to do so. These days I far more often buy old music than new music, because it’s more enjoyable to me to learn about older scenes through context.

I don’t have any problem with artists charging extravagant prices for their work, it’s about finding your market share and audience and lane, working in it, and succeeding. Sometimes that’s streaming, sometimes Bandcamp, sometimes 7inches and sometimes limited edition 180gram holofoil pop up usb charger dongle merch.

Also for me personally I don’t calculate price per minute of music, it’s about my subjective experience and relationship with that tune, even if it’s 15 seconds long and costs $20 if I LOVE that shit and it changed my life or was the soundtrack to something super deep I’ll buy it.

lol @nickecks i don’t normally go around scrutinizing the cost per minute of every release i buy. it was just to illustrate contrast.

to your point, it’s fairly hard to calculate joy. there are certain albums i’d buy hundreds of times over. on the other hand, it’s really pretty easy to calculate novelty. when you’ve got people actually raising their hand to support you when they could easily stream for free, i don’t see how someone could sit there with a straight face and say my single or EP (in a sea of singles and EPs) is worth 5x more than the person sitting next to me.

I’m very much of the mind that $1 per track is a great price $4 - 6 for a 4+ track EP is super fine, and $7-12 is just right for an album in this day and age. I have paid more for albums though cos music is like crack to me and I MUST HAVE IT (ha ha), and also the exchange rate for the Australian dollar is utterly awful right now so I’m pretty screwed on what I pay :stuck_out_tongue:

Agree with what most ppl have said here. Highest I’ve paid is for some grime stuff, some of that is priced ludicrously high. My guess is it’s linked to a kind of exclusivity culture that you saw with dubplates in the early days of grime. But as a result I’m looking towards other genres mainly at the moment.

Interesting thread. I think generally it’s just an experiment with artists to see what the sweet spot is for their fans/anyone interested – if they’re not doing vinyl pressing, they still need to cover costs of mastering/any artwork, and so pricing it higher accordingly is their most likely way of breaking even.

I’ve seen a few pretty well-known electronic acts experiment with digital pricing recently too. Chromatics and their offshoots on Italians Do It Better price every album at $1, which is pretty amazing. And the recent Forest Swords soundtrack he did was only £3 on Bandcamp.

I guess for a lot of artists it’s just about trying and seeing what price point people are more likely to bite at.

I haven’t bought anything on Bandcamp. I occasionally buy from Boomkat. Did a bleep purchase too. Honestly most of my stuff is on Apple Music and it does make me feel a little guilty but at the same time, for example, I bought a $40+ t-shirt (!?) from Fractal Fantasy (that came with some bootleg mp3s) and that mitigates the guilt. But I’m not a dj or producer or writer; just a consumer.

I guess the cynic in me assumes that inflated pricing is simply to offset the cost of living in [insert expensive ass hipster city here].

Is it worth buying (digital) music anymore??