Gábor Lázár // Unfold (The Death of Rave)

this stuff absolutely rips on the club system

Heard and saw the name often, but never heard his stuff. And now i regret to missed his residency a few years back here in Basel at HEK (Haus der Elektrornischen Künste) :weary: http://www.hek.ch/en/program/events-en/event/gabor-lazar-1.html

Elastic reminds me heavly of Autechre. Like a mix from the new stuff in the beginnig in the Track and then in the middle where the pads come in it reminds me of Amber.
It’s a fun release, like how he plays with the sound. Headbobbing stuff

this one’s big but still unsure on the rest

errorsmith album was banging

Big fan of his stuff so it’s ace to see it more floor-orientated.

One thing I find with the vinyl is being surprised it’s a double. Would have made more sense to me to have it all on a single LP and released a couple of 12" for the djs.

One of the best things I’ve heard this year and something he’s been building towards, though.

nah it’s conor’s label not lorenzo’s

Gábor Lázár released in 2014 on Presto!? records which is Lorenzo Senni’s label

ahhhh - misunderstood the comment

yo I’m slipping, I got it mixed up an thought this was on Presto!

It’s on “Presto!?”, the label. lorenzo senni’s

I really want to love this album. EP16 was a constant favorite for many many months, as was the Mark Fell collab. Seriously gripping stuff. But this one just falls flat for me! Whenever I listen to it I yearn for a drumless mix…

Good for GL though, I get the sense that this record will help expose his work to a wider audience. And as many others mentioned above, Repeater bangs.

Clearly in the minority here but this record doesn’t do much for me. Drums sound flat and same-y throughout, synths sound like a reshuffling of the same handful of tricks. Surprised this is drawing so many comparisons to Errorsmith. His work is much more dynamic.

someone please give me a casio sk-1 and a tank of helium and I’ll gladly make you as many errorsmith records as you want

His record didn’t blow me away either, it just doesn’t have much in common with this.

on this topic well srt of, Crowww record on Death Of Rave ws sickkkkkkk

i agree with you. Gabor wrote on his facebook that he is back to club music, because ‘thats where we all come from’ and i couldnt disagree more. i hate that he developed that club side of his music, rather than experimental / innovative one.

Do check out ep16 and the collab he did with Fell, neurobiology of decision making. austere but packs a punch. personally thought this was a bit of a step backwards as well, he started off making something ruthless and systematically funky only to streamline it for club use after he couldn’t push the sound forward. which is ok i guess but for home listening i feel u.

Finally finished listening to this thing in full. It’s alright. I agree that Repeater bangs tbh, it’s probably the stand out track. While I was enjoying it for the first part of the album, the staticness and way that the exact same sounds are used for every single track caused it to take on the function of mere background noise pretty quickly. It was desperately calling out for some variation in its sound, and I feel that had it been on an album with different sounding tracks, Repeater would end up going even harder. Solid 6/10 for me I think.

i hate that he developed that club side of his music, rather than experimental / innovative one.

pretty large false dichotomy you got there my guy

well, he himself admitted that:

New album UNFOLD is out. I’m taking a new direction with my music but still bringing the sound what I developed in the last couple of years. It isn’t a surprise for friends who know my background, its time to hit the clubs where we all originally are coming from.

~Gabor Lazar, on his Facebook post

I hate that he said that “we all originally are coming from clubs”. I am always looking in electronic music for that non-club side, more like digging stockhausen or xenakis ideas.

@ehh here you go! knock yourself out :slight_smile: