DJs with a "Loose" Approach

That mix is a dekmantel podcast so I think she wanted to show her skills but from those two mixes you can at least experience looseness in the selection.

I’ve seen both DJs not giving a fuck about precision and jumping trough styles really fast in more underground parties. Check them out later but don’t expect chemical brothers and flylo levels of craziness tho haha

Is this Jayda G’s style then?

I prefer this to flawless mixing/beatmatching honestly.

Just popping in to say I saw Ben UFO doing a sort of weird d&b-ish set yesterday and I have to say… didn’t think he was DJing super-tightly at the beginning (it was still great). So in my view he counts even though he wld doubtless be capable of doing a very tight mix were that the intention.

Ben UFO & Gaslamp Killer maneeee

Yeahmann I do it on purpose, honest

yes, i love this analogy.

i have two interesting connections to what you’ve written above. First is that Exit Planet Dust and Homework were my first two proper electronic albums i purchased at the age of 12 after hearing them on the 2am saturday night techno show on a rock station (Aaron Axelson’s Subsonic on Live 105 if anyone here is from The Bay Area). Made me realize this tension and release, this looseness, this dynamic you’re describing is something ive known since day one and that aesthetic has formed my taste when it comes to newer acts and really getting into the technical elements of djing.

second is that i fucking had tickets to that very show at the shrine and gave em up to my cousin (whose mind was blown she reported back) to venture to a campout festival where old old pals were gathering for a birthday. wish i had checked the clinic, but thanks to the internet i can get a sliver of it…cheers for the odd triggering of insight and memory.

Eclair Fifi, anyone?

dj/rupture back in the day, everything from crunk to musique concrete to breakcore

His mixes presaged a lot of these global club sounds.

score5 even though he isn’t the best of djs he played some of the weirdist grime beats, if you listen to boxed stuff now they took up the baton from that sound.

yeah, wondering what dj/rupture is doing these days … haven’t read his book yet!

loose af in a dollar diggers sense…love this man’s output…

Beatrice Dillon! As far as I know she rarely beatmatches, often just plays things to their end and hits the next track. Her sets are just about absolutely exquisite, envelope-pushing selections. Legend.
Case in point:

yeah that track she did with call super was fun and like 5 tools in one, can see now how her dj style fits to match, thanks!

Jameszoo, altho he has real ‘party’ style of dj’ing (lots of hits in general) the way he mixes it make it sound right. He can go from a slow soul track to oldschool dubstep and hiphop bangers over the course of an hour without it making it sound forced in any way. Here a recording of his dekmantel set from last year which isn’t the best example of what I’m trying to say but you’ll get the idea.

great great great +++++++++++

His book is a great read. Essentially a collection of reasons to and paths to find ways for music to thrive in the current ‘information situation’. I need to reread it to be honest. If I do I’ll start a thread.