Brian Leeds' incredible streak

for real

west mineral is mind blowin rn

just like the uon one this pontiac just keeps finding its way back into my queue, so so good

Man, I’d urge you to give that uon rec another listen… imo so so good, reminds me a lot of Chain Reaction (think Halucinator for instance). Then again, to each his own I guess!

Thanks for the recommendations. I follow some of those guys’ output, like Hank Jackson and the stuff around Proibito recs. In general I like the US techno - Brooklyn/NY or not - more than the UK stuff, which to me almost always end up being on the fringes of the axis of either pedestrian/functionalistic or gimmicky/pseudo-futurist.

@A.V oh, i’m sure I will…have not given it the attention I can tell it deserves! Fucking love Hallucinator;)

@chava You know, an older Chicago DJ said to me recently, “All the European djs/producers always fetishized the American stuff, the American producers/DJs always fetishized the Euro stuff.” I guess I can’t emphasize how little of a dance music culture or even awareness of dance music in America there’s been until this decade, truly. There was always a line between rock and dance, but I’ve felt that line dissolve over the past ten years…the UK stuff just has the intricacy and deeper knowledge of dance music that makes it more interesting, for me. Though really, I’m starting to see a lot more local stuff that I’m feeling as well as producers who didn’t interest me at first coming into their own and developing a unique voice.

Proibito was an interesting label, truly…still want that Austin Cesar and the two Huercos (I have the Royal Crown twelve)…I mean, there’s a great example. When Naples started, he was a young cat and the label kinda reflected that…but having given his stuff more of a chance, you really can hear him growing as a producer and he’s someone I’ve found myself developing a lot of respect for…then again, considering he got international attention off of some his early tracks when he was like 23, he got thrown into the deep end pretty damn early!

Highly urge fans of West Mineral Ltd check out Black Deer’s output. It’s a Willie Burn’s alias but less acid and more dubby territory

@zurkonic This fetishization of the strange® is quite common. That’s why it was so refreshing (as I mentioned before, although perhaps in another thread) when Wolfgang Voigt explicitly claimed he wanted to do techno without any reference to Detroit/Chicago and started looking into German history instead. Of course he got a lot of flak from the then quite PC mainstream media in Germany who got it all wrong.

However the connectedness and “deep” history of electronic dance music/culture in the UK (and other parts Europe) has its advantages but can just as easily trap you within very rigid references and expectations and limit the space for your own take on things. The pervasiveness of UK dance media and the whole underground industry has sometimes facilitated this ie. lots of substandard DJ-fodder/tools coming out of UK in the late 90s. In fact many of my most cherished and unique dance records are from places totally off-the-grid or at least on the fringes of the established dance ‘scene’. When US dance music was obscure (outside NY/Detroit/Chicago), the midwestern scene was an example of that although they had a pretty strong Euro connection.

it’s all about cultivation and dissemination of cultural forms or de/reterritorialization if you prefer that jargon.

edit: sorry for going completely off topic.

m8, I’m literally writing about the myopia that can arise within UK dance media right now so you’re making sense to me:)