2019 Roundup Thread

yeah, i agree. I think droning can be a quite “useful” part of a composition, but if you’re just going to play a sustained chord over the course of 4 minutes or whatever … I don’t know - I just don’t see the musical merit in it. As you say, not much of a musical statement. So much of it is just so bland as well.

Ben Vida, 21 on Boomkat’s best of the year - it’s basically 4 long drones. It’s not terrible, obviously, but it’s like listening to … I don’t know, rain or traffic or some mundane sound you have in your living room. I just don’t see why it’s special or why I should bother listening to it, and something in me tells me people who say they like this stuff just say they like it because they don’t get it either but want to look smart. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you need to approach these records in the context of what Boomkat ‘is’ and the kind of albums they – and the circle of people they – signal boost. It’s an intensely small circle of artists and a small set of records that are ‘approved’ within that circle. Boomkat then sells these records to these people, who then put it on their end of year list. It’s a hugely insular back-and-forth.

It’s really not a reflection of what goes on in a wider context – I doubt even people who buy records from Bleep or Norman, for instance, would be aware of some of the stuff that charted highly on Boomkat’s list. Drone records aren’t selling more than a couple of hundred copies anywhere, if that.

Keep in mind Boomkat also have a stake in actually producing/distributing some of these albums in the first place (The Caretaker, etc) so they’re more likely to spotlight these. It’s really not a reflection of what’s popular (or was even good) in avant garde/electronic.

Drone records are really boring a lot of the time.

That’s a fair shout! Thanks for pointing that out. I see a lot of the same albums wherever I look for “best electronic music 2019” though. Yet, I’ve found some really good recommendations through random people on Twitter for instance. I’ve struggled to find a magazine or medium that has the same taste as me (or you know, thereabouts), it’s either droney or too artsy (Boomkat) or too club oriented (Factmag and XLR8R), or too much rock focus (The Quietus, Pitchfork etc). It’s a good strategy to follow labels you like, of course.

Bought too much music in 2019, so keeping my list strictly to 2019 releases. I got into electronic music again while in London five years ago and Four Tet was my introduction to it, so naturally Caribou/Daphni and Floating Points followed. So that’s why my list (especially this year) is so heavy on them. I’m new to the “new” electronic music, though I still remember purchasing The Fat of the Land on release day from Tower Records.

Most releases I purchased from Bandcamp and left reviews there, four others were from Beatport, one free download, and one CD. I am frugal with my music and my time to buy whatever I feel like at that moment, so the following is broken down into two lists. Purchases and almost purchases. I bought too much previously released music in the first half of 2019 that I will never listen to again. There is only so much time in life so I want to make sure I mostly listen to what I really love. I appreciate your contributions here and on this site.

Puchases: Music I LOVED (in order of album/single title)

Headie One (feat. Dave) - 18HUNNA (Four Tet Remix)
Four Tet - Anna Painting
Headie One (feat. Skepta) - Back To Basics (Floating Points Remix)
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
Floating Points - Crush
Four Tet - Dreamer
Caribou - Home
Floating Points - LesAlpx / Coorabell
Four Tet - Live At Alexandra Palace
Leif - Loom Dream
Skrillex, Boys Noize, Ty Dolla $ign - Midnight Hour (Four Tet Remix)
KH - Only Human
Overmono - POLY011
Daphni - Sizzling EP
Quirke - Steal A Golden Hail
Four Tet - Teenage Birdsong
Four Tet - Teenage Birdsong (Avalon Emerson Scrub Jay Remix)
Four Tet - Teenage Birdsong (Overmono Remix)
Daphni - Thriller
Anunaku - Whities 024
⣎⡇ꉺლ༽இ•̛)ྀ◞ ༎ຶ ༽ৣৢ؞ৢ؞ؖ ꉺლ - ʅ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡(ƟӨ)ʃ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡ ꐑ(ཀ ඊູ ఠీੂ೧ູ࿃ूੂ✧ළඕั࿃ूੂ࿃ूੂੂ࿃ूੂළඕั✧ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ɵੂ≢࿃ूੂ೧ູఠీੂ ඊູཀ ꐑ(ʅ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡(ƟӨ)ʃ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡

Almost Purchases: Music I really LIKED
Anthony Naples - Fog FM
Joy Overmono - Bromley / Still Moving
Topdown Dialectic - Vol. 2
Floating Points - Late Night Tales: Floating Points
Skee Mask - 808BB
Head High - Into It
Donato Dozzy - Variations
Cop Envy & DJ Plead - Hinged
Midland - Frequency FM
Special Request - VORTEX
Special Request - Bedroom Tapes
Special Request - Offworld
Call Super & Parris - CANUFEELTHESUNONYRBACK
Ulla Strauss - Big Room
Boreal Massif - We All Have An Impact
Joe - Get Centered
Flame 2 - Dive / Rain
Moodyman - Sinner
Gerry Read - It’ll All Be Over
Ondo Fudd - Eyes Glide Through The Oxide
DJ Bogdan - Love Inna Basement

been a diehard Boomkat fanboy for 10+ years and i honestly look forward to the year-end charts all year (is that sad? :rofl::rofl:). i consume a lot of music and music writing over the course of a year, some stuff i don’t always buy right away, and their lists help contextualize what was truly good and what was just hype. Boomkat has definitely shaped my taste over the years and exposed me to stuff i would have never encountered or sought out on my own but i do suppose it would be kind of foolish to expect total, sober objectivity out of a retailer/label/distributor :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and even though they lay it on thick with the hype and hyperbole, i honestly trust their editorial thrust more than actual, honest-to-god journalists who just churn out more PR-addled clickbait content by the minute.

Great year for music. I got so spoiled in choice, and it feels like I’m more in tune with various scenes and genres rather than just obsessing over one at a time.

This is a list of my favorite long-form works/LPs/mixes/compilations from 2018-2019. Not necessarily a full list. 1st pic is chronological from beginning of 2018 until summer 2019, and the 2nd pic is more of eleventh-hour entries near the tail end of 2019 plus some honorable mentions.

Other notes: Compro is definitely my fav album of 2018, no doubt about it. State of Ruin by SRA is definitely my most rinsed instrumental album, and AMBF by Kevin Abstract is definitely my most rinsed vocal album.

Yeah, I agree their top records always feel contrived. The artist charts are worth a look at least!