2019 Roundup Thread

That’s a fair shout! Thanks for pointing that out. I see a lot of the same albums wherever I look for “best electronic music 2019” though. Yet, I’ve found some really good recommendations through random people on Twitter for instance. I’ve struggled to find a magazine or medium that has the same taste as me (or you know, thereabouts), it’s either droney or too artsy (Boomkat) or too club oriented (Factmag and XLR8R), or too much rock focus (The Quietus, Pitchfork etc). It’s a good strategy to follow labels you like, of course.

been a diehard Boomkat fanboy for 10+ years and i honestly look forward to the year-end charts all year (is that sad? :rofl::rofl:). i consume a lot of music and music writing over the course of a year, some stuff i don’t always buy right away, and their lists help contextualize what was truly good and what was just hype. Boomkat has definitely shaped my taste over the years and exposed me to stuff i would have never encountered or sought out on my own but i do suppose it would be kind of foolish to expect total, sober objectivity out of a retailer/label/distributor :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and even though they lay it on thick with the hype and hyperbole, i honestly trust their editorial thrust more than actual, honest-to-god journalists who just churn out more PR-addled clickbait content by the minute.

Great year for music. I got so spoiled in choice, and it feels like I’m more in tune with various scenes and genres rather than just obsessing over one at a time.

This is a list of my favorite long-form works/LPs/mixes/compilations from 2018-2019. Not necessarily a full list. 1st pic is chronological from beginning of 2018 until summer 2019, and the 2nd pic is more of eleventh-hour entries near the tail end of 2019 plus some honorable mentions.

Other notes: Compro is definitely my fav album of 2018, no doubt about it. State of Ruin by SRA is definitely my most rinsed instrumental album, and AMBF by Kevin Abstract is definitely my most rinsed vocal album.

Yeah, I agree their top records always feel contrived. The artist charts are worth a look at least!

That’s a good call! I appreciate you bringing that up. However, no matter where I look for the “best electronic music 2019,” I frequently find the same albums. On Twitter, for instance, I’ve come across some really great recommendations from random users. It’s been difficult for me to find a publication or medium that shares my tastes, or one that comes close to them; they are either too droney, too artsy (Boomkat), too club-oriented (Factmag and XLR8R), or have an excessive rock focus (The Quietus, Pitchfork etc). Of course, following labels you enjoy is a wise move.